Want VCL source "in path", but no compile

Hi,

I would like to have the benefit of easy access to the VCL source by
pressing Ctrl-Enter over a uses clause. I do get this if I include the
path to the VCL sources in the project options.
But if doing so the whole VCL (well, the parts Borland sells the
sources for) is rebuilt on "Compile all". This is definitely something
I do not want.

Is there any way to have fast access to the VCL sources which does not
have this unwanted side effect?

TIA
Stefan
--
Stefan Hoffmeister  (Stefan.Hoffmeis...@Uni-Passau.de)
University of Passau, Bavaria, Germany

Re:Want VCL source "in path", but no compile

In article <319b03a4.1900...@news.rz.uni-passau.de> Stefan.Hoffmeis...@Uni-Passau.De (Stefan Hoffmeister) writes:

>I would like to have the benefit of easy access to the VCL source by
>pressing Ctrl-Enter over a uses clause. I do get this if I include the
>path to the VCL sources in the project options.
>But if doing so the whole VCL (well, the parts Borland sells the
>sources for) is rebuilt on "Compile all". This is definitely something
>I do not want.
>Is there any way to have fast access to the VCL sources which does not
>have this unwanted side effect?

Hmm... yet another keyboard shortcut I didn't know existed.  Sounds like
something that could be added to the editor.

Stefan.Hoffmeis...@Uni-Passau.De (Stefan Hoffmeister) wrote:
>Hi,
>I would like to have the benefit of easy access to the VCL source by
>pressing Ctrl-Enter over a uses clause. I do get this if I include the
>path to the VCL sources in the project options.
>But if doing so the whole VCL (well, the parts Borland sells the
>sources for) is rebuilt on "Compile all". This is definitely something
>I do not want.
>Is there any way to have fast access to the VCL sources which does not
>have this unwanted side effect?
>TIA
>Stefan
>--
>Stefan Hoffmeister  (Stefan.Hoffmeis...@Uni-Passau.de)
>University of Passau, Bavaria, Germany

I'm not sure on this, but I believe if you put the path to the VBL
source _last_ in the list of library directories, and the path to
DELPHI's "lib" directory (where the delivered, compiled VCL units
reside) earlier in the path, the compiler will find the delivered
units first, and not finding the source in the same directory, skip
those units.  You can then still use ctrl-enter to pull up VCL source
units in the Delphi editor.  I'm not sure if the de{*word*81} will find
the source files.  Let us know how it goes.

------------------------------
Tim Shea
City Software, Inc.
c...@citysoft.com
Hit any key to continue, any other to exit.

Re:Want VCL source "in path", but no compile

> Hmm... yet another keyboard shortcut I didn't know existed.  Sounds like
> something that could be added to the editor.

        Did you also now about:
        -Searching for matching delimeters
        -Jump to Object Browser
        -Insert Compiler options
        -Record and playback keyboard macros...
        -Indent / Unindent..

        All are in 2, and some are in 1... See help file...

On Thu, 16 May 1996 21:12:47 GMT, c...@citysoft.com (Tim Shea) wrote:
>Stefan.Hoffmeis...@Uni-Passau.De (Stefan Hoffmeister) wrote:
>>I would like to have the benefit of easy access to the VCL source by
>>pressing Ctrl-Enter over a uses clause. I do get this if I include the
>>path to the VCL sources in the project options.
>>But if doing so the whole VCL (well, the parts Borland sells the
>>sources for) is rebuilt on "Compile all". This is definitely something
>>I do not want.

>>Is there any way to have fast access to the VCL sources which does not
>>have this unwanted side effect?

>I'm not sure on this, but I believe if you put the path to the VBL
>source _last_ in the list of library directories, and the path to
>DELPHI's "lib" directory (where the delivered, compiled VCL units
>reside) earlier in the path, the compiler will find the delivered
>units first, and not finding the source in the same directory, skip
>those units.  You can then still use ctrl-enter to pull up VCL source
>units in the Delphi editor.  I'm not sure if the de{*word*81} will find
>the source files.  Let us know how it goes.

Well reasoned! But unfortunately reasoning does not help too much if
one uses a computer... ;-)

No, the approach does not work. Thanks for the suggestion!

--
Stefan Hoffmeister  (Stefan.Hoffmeis...@Uni-Passau.de)
University of Passau, Bavaria, Germany

Other Threads