can Indy do this? IMAP, SSL

Hi!

I've been wondering if I
could make an e-mail client with D5 to eplace our existing one.

Our e-mail system setup in general is for
incoming mail:
    server: IMAP
    incoming mail requires a secure connection (SSL)

outgoing mail is SMTP, no SSL needed there.

I tried the MailClient demo, sending mails is OK and works fine,
however, I cannot connect to the mail server and read the mails => the app
hangs.

Of course the explanation is that the incoming mail component in the demo
is the POP component =>

Now the questions:
1. I didn't find the IMAP client component in the palette (or am i just
blind/plain stupid:)
   -  does that component exist? ( I did find the IMAP server, though)
2. If not, will any of the other components do the trick (security, IMAP) ?

TIA, Jyri

Re:can Indy do this? IMAP, SSL

[This followup was posted to borland.public.delphi.internet.winsock and
a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <3ac0f157_2@dnews>, jyle...@NOSPAMurova.fi says...

> Hi!

> I've been wondering if I
> could make an e-mail client with D5 to eplace our existing one.

> Our e-mail system setup in general is for
> incoming mail:
>     server: IMAP
>     incoming mail requires a secure connection (SSL)

I am not sure what is required with IMAP and SSL.  However, Indy does
have a SSL Component if you use the SSL DLL's.

> outgoing mail is SMTP, no SSL needed there.

> I tried the MailClient demo, sending mails is OK and works fine,
> however, I cannot connect to the mail server and read the mails => the app
> hangs.

> Of course the explanation is that the incoming mail component in the demo
> is the POP component =>

> Now the questions:
> 1. I didn't find the IMAP client component in the palette (or am i just
> blind/plain stupid:)

There is none currently but there is a little work we are hoping to
include later on for IMAP support.

HTH.
--
Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/
J. Peter Mugaas     E-Mail:  oma00...@mail.wvnet.edu

Re:can Indy do this? IMAP, SSL

jyle...@NOSPAMurova.fi (Jyri Leino) wrote in <3ac0f157_2@dnews>:

>1. I didn't find the IMAP client component in the palette (or am i just
>blind/plain stupid:)

Not yet. But Idan Cohen has written one and is working on merging it into
Indy 8.1.

--
Chad Z. Hower (Kudzu) - Church Hill, TN - Team Indy
Forget the Y2K problem, Lets fix the W2K problem.

Re:can Indy do this? IMAP, SSL

Thanks both you,
 is it fair to presume that 8.1 will be released before the summer?
JL
> Not yet. But Idan Cohen has written one and is working on merging it into
> Indy 8.1.

Other Threads