unkown Win32 error 10054?

sometimes when I connect Internet via dial-up account, i get this error
message when any application is connected with a network server(TCP/IP):
  Unable to complete network request to host "<hostname>".
  Error writing data to the connection
  unknown Win32 error 10054

It's obvious that there is some kind of network conflict between IB and
dial-up(Windows).
How to avoid such errors?

Thanks

Re:unkown Win32 error 10054?

> sometimes when I connect Internet via dial-up account, i get this error
> message when any application is connected with a network server(TCP/IP):
>   Unable to complete network request to host "<hostname>".
>   Error writing data to the connection
>   unknown Win32 error 10054

> It's obvious that there is some kind of network conflict between IB and
> dial-up(Windows).
> How to avoid such errors?

Error 10054 is a winsock error for connection reset.  You can find the
list of winsock errors in the winsock.h file.

Since the InterBase Server is up and running at the time of the problem,
it's an indication that it's not an InterBase issue but rather a network
issue.  Check the following:

 *  At the time of the problem, what's the traffic load?  Check for
    traffic loads that can flood the network. Is there anything scheduled
    to flood the network at certain time?

 *  Check for network hardware problems such as bad switch, router,
     hub, etc.

*   Another possible scenario involves having more than one protocol
    bound to the same network card. In one case a customer had TCP/IP,
    IPX/SPX, and RIP for IPX bound to the same ethernet card. When he
    unbound IPX/SPX and RIP for IPX from the card, the errors disappeared.

The above information can be found on the Borland InterBase Community web
stie at http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,25340,00.html
-Tom

Re:unkown Win32 error 10054?

I checked the recommendations from the community site and the  one which
appears to make the problem is the network hardare. Ok, but  are there any
programs, tests, etc to check the network devices, i know it's not a very
clever question, anyway...?

mitaka

Other Threads