Help: Overhead of keeping Datasets Open?

With respect to my previous question in the group, is it possible to keep a
dataset Open indefinitely while you insert new records, update records,
delete records etc. etc. and still Commit database changes?

If I keep the dataset Open all the time my application is running, and
perform Commits periodically in the code when needed, does this have any
impact on memory, data accessibility, database size and performance?

Regards,

James

Re:Help: Overhead of keeping Datasets Open?

In my systems that I have written, I found a 5 to 1 increase in performance
by using a single database object, opening it and using queries between
start and end transactions. The only thing I see wrong (diggin deep with
Turbo De{*word*81}) is that when you add lines to the query it attempts to
optimize the query for each line added ... Memory usage remain quite stable
this way; gets a bit too fragmented by opening and closing all the time.
The only problems I have come accross so far is that there are times when
rebuilding a table via query will not happen properly even after a commit !
.. Hope it helps though ...

James Boswell <j.bosw...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in article
<01bc14f3$b66063b0$8429bfc7@teme>...

> With respect to my previous question in the group, is it possible to keep
> dataset Open indefinitely while you insert new records, update records,
> delete records etc. etc. and still Commit database changes?

Other Threads