Multi-User access to Paradox Tables.

I have been asked to develop a multi user system in Delphi with
Paradox tables.

I would like to here from people who has done this and what the
pitfalls are.

Is there any special things that I should be aware of ?

Does anyone have any examples ?

Thanks.

Steve.

Re:Multi-User access to Paradox Tables.

Steve Thompson wrote:

> I have been asked to develop a multi user system in Delphi with
> Paradox tables.

> I would like to here from people who has done this and what the
> pitfalls are.

> Is there any special things that I should be aware of ?

> Does anyone have any examples ?

> Thanks.

> Steve.

It depends on how many users, peer to peer, or C/S. Suggest you read the
article InterBase vs. Paradox in the June issue of of "Delphi
Informant". All I can say is, make sure you understand the differences
before you tackle this one. Or better yet, consult with an expert before
you start.

Tony

<835998547.590...@dden.demon.co.uk>...

> I have been asked to develop a multi user system in Delphi with
> Paradox tables.

> I would like to here from people who has done this and what the
> pitfalls are.

> Is there any special things that I should be aware of ?

> Does anyone have any examples ?

There are three major issues you can plan for, to avoid complications in
your project:

  1) The NetFileDir property of your TSession components must point to the
same directory on all computers.  Only the drive letter can vary, the path
must be identical.  This becomes an issue when you have computers
accessing the same tables, from different workstations using shared
drives.
  2) Do NOT rely on the autoincrement data type of Paradox tables to
provide a primary key for use in a master-detail relationship.  If your
table even becomes damaged, and needs to be packed, the link will be
broken.
  3) If you plan on more than 5-10 concurrent users, seriously consider
another database backend (A server-based SQL platform).

These are only some common problems encountered, and the list is by no
means complete.

L8R

Other Threads