using BDE 5.01 with SQL Server 7.0 without Microsoft Client

Hello,

I have a SQL Server 7.0 setup in a Novell environment.  The company I am
working for does not want to install the Microsoft Client on the
workstations.

Has anyone been successful using the BDE 5.01 to connect to a SQL Server 7.0
using TCP/IP without the Microsoft Networking client installed.  I have
found the BDE works fine when the Microsoft Networking client is installed
but when I remove the Microsoft networking client it seems to stop working.

I would appreciate any suggestions because my client will not install the
Microsoft Networking client on the workstations for internal reasons.

Thanks,

Michael

Re:using BDE 5.01 with SQL Server 7.0 without Microsoft Client

> I have a SQL Server 7.0 setup in a Novell environment.  The company I am
> working for does not want to install the Microsoft Client on the
> workstations.

Getting to MSSQL7 via the BDE / SQL Links requires the MS SQL client.
Specifically, it needs NTWDBLIB.DLL.  Your best bet is to use ADO which
doesn't require the MS SQL client.  Delphi 5 Enterprise comes with native
ADO support and it is available for Delphi 5 professional as an add-on.
There are also 3rd party ADO components that work with other versions of
Delphi.

-Mike

Re:using BDE 5.01 with SQL Server 7.0 without Microsoft Client

I have no idea except:

Install client at ONE comp
write simple COM dll for DB connection
change your program to use remote connection

hint.
for MS SQL use ADO connection

"Michael Stoler" <msto...@bdsdatabase.com> wrote in message

> Hello,

> I have a SQL Server 7.0 setup in a Novell environment.  The company I am
> working for does not want to install the Microsoft Client on the
> workstations.

> Has anyone been successful using the BDE 5.01 to connect to a SQL Server
7.0
> using TCP/IP without the Microsoft Networking client installed.  I have
> found the BDE works fine when the Microsoft Networking client is installed
> but when I remove the Microsoft networking client it seems to stop
working.

> I would appreciate any suggestions because my client will not install the
> Microsoft Networking client on the workstations for internal reasons.

> Thanks,

> Michael

Re:using BDE 5.01 with SQL Server 7.0 without Microsoft Client

Michael,

   MIDAS.  Check out the numerous demos included with Delphi and Dan Miser's
site (http://www.distribucon.com)

Good luck,
krf

> Hello,

> I have a SQL Server 7.0 setup in a Novell environment.  The company I am
> working for does not want to install the Microsoft Client on the
> workstations.

> Has anyone been successful using the BDE 5.01 to connect to a SQL Server
7.0
> using TCP/IP without the Microsoft Networking client installed.  I have
> found the BDE works fine when the Microsoft Networking client is installed
> but when I remove the Microsoft networking client it seems to stop
working.

> I would appreciate any suggestions because my client will not install the
> Microsoft Networking client on the workstations for internal reasons.

> Thanks,

> Michael

Re:using BDE 5.01 with SQL Server 7.0 without Microsoft Client

Hi Michael!

On Wed, 23 May 2001 23:12:13 -0400, "Michael Stoler"

<msto...@bdsdatabase.com> wrote:
>I have a SQL Server 7.0 setup in a Novell environment.  The company I am
>working for does not want to install the Microsoft Client on the
>workstations.

>Has anyone been successful using the BDE 5.01 to connect to a SQL Server 7.0
>using TCP/IP without the Microsoft Networking client installed.  I have
>found the BDE works fine when the Microsoft Networking client is installed
>but when I remove the Microsoft networking client it seems to stop working.

>I would appreciate any suggestions because my client will not install the
>Microsoft Networking client on the workstations for internal reasons.

For SQL6.5 only two DLLs are required. These are :

NTWDBLIB.DLL - should go with BDE DLL's
DBNMPNTW.DLL - windows system

I guess that must work with SQL7 since it supports dblib.
Have you tried that? Do you have any problem with it?

tomi.

Other Threads