result of local SQL query CANNOT modify !!

I cannot modify the query result after running this local SQL.....

select * from "delivery.dbf" where client_nam like "john%";

But I can modify the result for these !!

select * from "delivery.dbf" where client_nam like "johnny";

Same thing happen when I use "order by" in my  SQL statment.
I had set the RequestLive := True, and I had follow the "Syntax
Requirements for a Live Result Set" in Delphi's help.

My objective is to modifty the query result. I can't believe that
local SQL doesn't support this task. Did '%' was not support in local
SQL ? How about 'order by' ? Should I move my database to Interbase to
solve the problem ??

Please help....
Felix

Re:result of local SQL query CANNOT modify !!

Felix Ng wrote:

> I cannot modify the query result after running this local SQL.....

> select * from "delivery.dbf" where client_nam like "john%";

> But I can modify the result for these !!

> select * from "delivery.dbf" where client_nam like "johnny";

> Same thing happen when I use "order by" in my  SQL statment.
> I had set the RequestLive := True, and I had follow the "Syntax
> Requirements for a Live Result Set" in Delphi's help.

> My objective is to modifty the query result. I can't believe that
> local SQL doesn't support this task. Did '%' was not support in local
> SQL ? How about 'order by' ? Should I move my database to Interbase to
> solve the problem ??

> Please help....
> Felix

The ORDER BY sorting BDE Local SQL will not return a live result set. This
is in the LocalSQL.Hlp.

The like clause is not in that help, and in my test I received a non-live
result set as well.

Looks like 'LIKE '%xxx%' does not return a live result set.

Maybe in Delphi 32???

Tom Waterhouse
OMTI
t...@a.crl.com

Re:result of local SQL query CANNOT modify !!

Hi,

I have found that as soon as you use the LIKE clause in a SQL
statement, the RequestLive property no longer works (bug or feature?).
Anyway, take a peak at the Delphi Super Page
(http://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/archive/delphi/). I uploaded a free ware
program called SQLDemo that helps to automate updating, inserting and
deleting into a database. All you have to do is define your fields and
spread any data that needs to be.

Good luck,
Allen

feli...@hka.online.edu (Felix Ng) writes:
> I cannot modify the query result after running this local SQL.....

> select * from "delivery.dbf" where client_nam like "john%";

> But I can modify the result for these !!

> select * from "delivery.dbf" where client_nam like "johnny";

> Same thing happen when I use "order by" in my  SQL statment.
> I had set the RequestLive := True, and I had follow the "Syntax
> Requirements for a Live Result Set" in Delphi's help.

> My objective is to modifty the query result. I can't believe that
> local SQL doesn't support this task. Did '%' was not support in local
> SQL ? How about 'order by' ? Should I move my database to Interbase to
> solve the problem ??

> Please help....
> Felix

Felix:
The documentation does say that you cannot modify a query
result using 'order by' clause.
I have never used the other methods you do, but I'll give it
a try and see if I can do it here (or if it can be done).

Ken

Other Threads