BDE Standalone Deployment Question

I have written a DELPHI 2 program which I need to deploy on CD-ROM to
our clients. The program is self contained and uses a PARADOX database
through the BDE. Ideally our client should be able to run the program
from the CD and use it without first going through an installation
procedure, as I would like to side-step any issues to do with installing
and supporting the BDE on their PC environment. Can the BDE be
pre-configure on the CD to achieve this?

Regards,
Harry Harper-Wilkinson
Technical Consultant
Capita Business Services Ltd

Re:BDE Standalone Deployment Question

No.  There are registry entries that must be created to identify the
location of the BDE DLL's and the BDE configuration file.

--
Bill

Re:BDE Standalone Deployment Question

>I have written a DELPHI 2 program which I need to deploy on CD-ROM to
>our clients. The program is self contained and uses a PARADOX database
>through the BDE. Ideally our client should be able to run the program
>from the CD and use it without first going through an installation
>procedure, as I would like to side-step any issues to do with installing
>and supporting the BDE on their PC environment. Can the BDE be
>pre-configure on the CD to achieve this?

No.  At a minimum you need the correct entries in the Registry that reference
where BDE is to be found.   You probably could create a delphi program that
makes the correct entries and then starts your main program as long as the
starter program has no code that references a module that uses BDE

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:BDE Standalone Deployment Question

Go to http://www.torry.ru and you will
find a freeware app that does just what
you want.

It configures a machine to use the BDE
files located on another machine/drive.

harry harper-wilkinson wrote:
> I have written a DELPHI 2 program which I need to deploy on CD-ROM to
> our clients. The program is self contained and uses a PARADOX database
> through the BDE. Ideally our client should be able to run the program
> from the CD and use it without first going through an installation
> procedure, as I would like to side-step any issues to do with installing
> and supporting the BDE on their PC environment. Can the BDE be
> pre-configure on the CD to achieve this?

> Regards,
> Harry Harper-Wilkinson
> Technical Consultant
> Capita Business Services Ltd