D4: Different Build Behaviour 98 v. NT/2000

If you go to Project | Options | Packages tab, then the effect of
checking the "Build with Runtime Packages" option seems to behave
differently under Win98 and WinNT (or 2000)....

Under NT/2000, if this option is not checked, then when you do a
project build, the built-in Delphi components (eg. ComCtrls, StdCtrls,
etc) get compiled along with your own source. If the option is
checked, the built-in components aren't compiled. This seems to be the
behavious one would expect.

Under Win98, however, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether
this option is checked or not: the built-in Delphi components *never*
get recompiled by a project build.

(The background to this is that there is a bug in D4's TScrollBar,
which requires a source fix in StdCtrls.pas. Building under NT/2000,
all that's required is to uncheck the above-mentioned option, but
building under 98 the only way I've managed to have the fixed version
of TScrollBar included in the program is to actually add StdCtrls.pas
to my project).

Any ideas?

Re:D4: Different Build Behaviour 98 v. NT/2000

Hi Clive,

>If you go to Project | Options | Packages tab, then the effect of
>checking the "Build with Runtime Packages" option seems to behave
>differently under Win98 and WinNT (or 2000)....

>Under NT/2000, if this option is not checked, then when you do a
>project build, the built-in Delphi components (eg. ComCtrls, StdCtrls,
>etc) get compiled along with your own source. If the option is
>checked, the built-in components aren't compiled. This seems to be the
>behavious one would expect.

>Under Win98, however, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether
>this option is checked or not: the built-in Delphi components *never*
>get recompiled by a project build.

Building a project with runtime packages doesn't necessarily recompile
the built-in components. Check your library paths if they include the
delphi source paths.

Cheers,
   Udo
--
Homepage: http://www.nesshoever.de            No mails please. Reply here.

Delphi env.:                         Global Polio Awareness Campaign 2001+
W2K.sp1, D4Pro.sp3                       More info -> http://www.2-mad.com

Re:D4: Different Build Behaviour 98 v. NT/2000

The message <3b1df403.1283908...@supernews.nildram.co.uk>
  from  cl...@capita.nildram.co.uk (Clive Backham) contains these words:

> If you go to Project | Options | Packages tab, then the effect of
> checking the "Build with Runtime Packages" option seems to behave
> differently under Win98 and WinNT (or 2000)....
> Under NT/2000, if this option is not checked, then when you do a
> project build, the built-in Delphi components (eg. ComCtrls, StdCtrls,
> etc) get compiled along with your own source. If the option is
> checked, the built-in components aren't compiled. This seems to be the
> behavious one would expect.
> Under Win98, however, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether
> this option is checked or not: the built-in Delphi components *never*
> get recompiled by a project build.
> (The background to this is that there is a bug in D4's TScrollBar,
> which requires a source fix in StdCtrls.pas. Building under NT/2000,
> all that's required is to uncheck the above-mentioned option, but
> building under 98 the only way I've managed to have the fixed version
> of TScrollBar included in the program is to actually add StdCtrls.pas
> to my project).
> Any ideas?

I would have said that the behaviour under win98 was correct and
that it was strange under NT/2000. If you have a standard version
of Delphi, then the *.pas source files are not supplied, so you
work only with the .dcu files. It would be impossible under these
circumstances to recompile the source listings, yet the standard
versions run quite happily on NT.

Most likely the search paths in Project|Options are different
between the win98 and NT/2000 systems, such that one includes
a folder with source listings where the other does not (or at
least something like that).

As far as your bug fix is concerned, adding stdCtrls.pas to
the project is not such a bad idea - It's exactly what I do,
but I don't use packages.

There is a note about bug fixes and and compiling with packages
on the delphi bugs list, initially I thought they meant you could
not use packages at all if you modified the listings, but it may
just mean that you take a double hit on any fixed up units by
having the same code twice in the program.

--
Sincerely,

Andreas Kyriacou
http://www.andrikkos.co.uk (Imagine! Image Viewer)