Author:  speirs (spe...@chebucto.ns.ca)
Subject: Dec number?

Hi speirs and everybody else!

s> What is the ANSI character set Dec number for "c" inscribed in a circle
s> -- the copyright symbol?

#169  #$A9

cu,        Clemens

* * * * * * * * * * *  on the net since tuesday  * * * * * * * * * * * * *
_P.S._ Answer and/or comment _please_ (also) as follow-up-to: poster

Re:Dec number?

#184 ?

- Asbj?rn

Re:Dec number?

Asbj?rn wrote:
> Robert Speirs wrote:

> > What is the ANSI character set Dec number for "c" inscribed in a circle
> > -- the copyright symbol?  #???  #$???

> #184 ?

But now no one else can use it.

AME

Re:Dec number?

spe...@chebucto.ns.ca (Robert Speirs) wrote:
> What is the ANSI character set Dec number for "c" inscribed in a circle
> -- the copyright symbol?

ISO 646 (aka ASCII) does not have a Copyright sign.

The proprietary IBM Code Page CP 437 (tha "classic" PC code)
does not have a Copyright sign, either. But, the proprietary IBM
CP 850 (PC Multilingual Code) has the Copyright sign on position
184 (dec) = B8 (hex). This code, while implemented on many DOS
systems, has nothing to do with ANSI.

ISO 8859-1 Latin-1 (also known, though imprecisely, as 8-Bit-ASCII)
has 169 (dec.) = A9 (hex) = Copyright Sign. Modern Unix
implementations in America and Western Europe tend to support Latin-1
as their native code.

What Windows 3.11 calls "ANSI" is a superset of ISO 8859-1 (i.e. some
code-positions marked "Reserved" in  the standard are used for
characters). Hence, in that Windows code, the Copyright Sign is also
196 (dec) = A9 (hex).

ISO 10646-1, the Universal Multiple-Octet Coded Character Set (UCS)
is a superset of ISO 8859-1, in 16 bits (BMP, akin to Unicode), or
in 31 bits. Hence, the Copyright Sign is 00A9 in BMP/Unicode, and
000000A9 in the full UCS. Windows NT, and Office 97, support BMP/
Unicode.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz

Re:Dec number?

Alan M. Evans wrote:

> Asbj?rn wrote:

> > Robert Speirs wrote:

> > > What is the ANSI character set Dec number for "c" inscribed in a circle
> > > -- the copyright symbol?  #???  #$???

> > #184 ?

> But now no one else can use it.

> AME

Ok, I just pulled it out of the SYSTEM font and checked with the char map prog.

- Asbj?rn

Re:Dec number?

Hilton Janfield wrote:

> >> What is the ANSI character set Dec number for "c" inscribed in a circle
> >> -- the copyright symbol?  #???  #$???

> >#184 ?

> He asked for an ANSI character symbol. Meaning IBM character set.

> The default IBM character set has no (c) symbol.
> Most WinBLOWS fonts have the copyright symbol, but I remember it being in
> the 150's or 160's not 180's...

Sorry, just checked with the TERMINAL font, which I though was just like ASCII
My mistake, never happen again...

- Asbj?rn

Re:Dec number?

Hilton Janfield wrote:
> The default IBM character set has no (c) symbol.

This code is called CP 437 by IBM. In Windows, it is awailable in the
"MS LineDraw" font.

> Most WinBLOWS fonts have the copyright symbol, but I remember it
> being in the 150's or 160's not 180's...

The code of these fonts is called "ANSI", in the help files, though
strictly speaking it is not an ANSI code. It is akin to ISO 8859-1
(which certainly has some ANSI twin), but it does not conform fully.
Copyright symbol is in the part this code has common with ISO 8859-1.

Asbj=F8rn <bh...@sn.no> wrote:
> Sorry, just checked with the TERMINAL font, which I though was just
> like ASCII

I do not have the Windows TERMINAL font, on my PC. I suppose, this is
the IBM code CP 850, or perhaps the DOS system code (which can be set
with the MODE CON CP command, in DOS).

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz

Re:Dec number?

Otto Stolz wrote:
> Asbj?rn <bh...@sn.no> wrote:
> > Sorry, just checked with the TERMINAL font, which I though was just
> > like ASCII

> I do not have the Windows TERMINAL font, on my PC. I suppose, this is
> the IBM code CP 850, or perhaps the DOS system code (which can be set
> with the MODE CON CP command, in DOS).

Oh, and sorry again, it was the SYSTEM font :) even worse.

- Asbj?rn

Re:Dec number?

You should look in your DOS book under Chapter CODE PAGES and there it is.

Robert Speirs <spe...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in article
<5ead1l$...@News.Dal.Ca>...

> What is the ANSI character set Dec number for "c" inscribed in a circle
> -- the copyright symbol?  #???  #$???

Other Threads