dBASE-tables - display fields in different ways

Hello!

I have been using dBase and Visual dBase for quite some time. Now I am
moving to Delphi which I use together with dBase-tables. In Visual dBase

5.7 and earlier versions you can display a record in 3 diffent ways. You

change display mode by pressing F2.

1. The common line display (good for most purposes). The default.
2. Display like a lot of squares connected together, like this:

(record 1)
   field1|field2|field3|field4|field5|field6|field7|
   field8|field9|field10|field11|field12|field13|field14|
   field15|field16|field17|field18|field19|field20|field11|

(record 2)
   field1|field2|field3|field4|field5|field6|field7|
   field8|field9|field10|field11|field12|field13|field14|
   field15|field16|field17|field18|field19|field20|field11|

and so on. This is extremely useful when you fill in data from surveys
whith houndreds of fields. This is what I want to do in Delphi.

3. Each field on a new line:

(record 1)
   field1
   field2
   field3

(record 2)
   field1
   field2
   field3

Also useful in some cases.

Do you have any idea of how to show records in Delphi, I use version 5,
like in 2? I would love to get some help on this.

Best wishes
Klas Westholm
Klas.Westh...@datakatten.se

--
Klas Westholm
Studera.nu/Informationsavdelningen

Re:dBASE-tables - display fields in different ways

>Do you have any idea of how to show records in Delphi, I use version 5,
>like in 2? I would love to get some help on this.

Assuming that the lines in your message warped it appears you are referring to a
grid.  So use the TdbGrid component
--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:dBASE-tables - display fields in different ways

Hello Brian!

No, the fields from one record are shown in a rectangular block which makes it very
easy to display houndreds of fields in one view without having to scroll to the
right. Inside that block you may see a square pattern with for example 20 fields on
the first line, 20 on the next and so on, all gathered together inside the block. If
you scroll downwards you come to the next block - next record.

I use this display in Visual dBase for entering data from surveys into tables with
mayby 2-300 houndred fields and in this way it is very easy to see all data.

My question is if it is possible to get the same kind of view in Delphi? The
ordinary line-display in the TdbGrid requires a lot of scrolling with 300 fields to
enter data in and a lack of overview.

Thank you for your time,
Best wishes
Klas

--
Klas Westholm
Studera.nu/Informationsavdelningen
H?gskoleverket
Box 7851
103 99 Stockholm
Tel: 08-563 086 26
Fax: 08-563 086 00
E-post: Klas.Westh...@hsv.se
Hemsidor:
Studera.nu, http://www.hsv.se/studera
H?gskoleverket, http://www.hsv.se

Re:dBASE-tables - display fields in different ways

Use the TDBCtrlGrid for this. It lets you design the layout however you want
and will display the entire table like the TDBGrid.

Woody

Re:dBASE-tables - display fields in different ways

>My question is if it is possible to get the same kind of view in Delphi? The
>ordinary line-display in the TdbGrid requires a lot of scrolling with 300 fields to
>enter data in and a lack of overview.

Idon't know of any control that gives you this automaticaly. Woody is right that
a  TDBCtrlGrid could be used but you will have to place each fields on it and
carefully align them to get a grid effect.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Other Threads