Why aren't more people using interbase?

This is really beginning to puzzle me.

I've been looking at interbase for that last couple of weeks and it seems
that as relational databases go it's pretty good.  Standard SQL '92 but
well implemented with some very useful enhancements in the procedure and
trigger language.

So I'm all keyed up ready to get the press rolling on my next client server
solution when someone suggests looking into what kind of following
interbase has.  So I get on the net and have trawl around and guess what
.. an eeiry silence. A couple of people here and there but nothing much.

WHAT'S WITH THIS PRODUCT IS IT JUST BAD MARKETING, AM I GOING MAD OR IS
THERE SOME SERIOUS FLAW IN IT.

Please advise before I spend a bucket load of cash, months of effort and
many sleepless nights wondering if I'm making a big mistake.

Duncan Green.

Re:Why aren't more people using interbase?

In article <01bcc13c$a82c3800$9a4fa4c2@duncan-green>,

"Duncan Green" <dun...@dazzler.clara.net> wrote:

>I've been looking at interbase for that last couple of weeks and it seems
>that as relational databases go it's pretty good.  Standard SQL '92 but
>well implemented with some very useful enhancements in the procedure and
>trigger language.

>So I'm all keyed up ready to get the press rolling on my next client server
>solution when someone suggests looking into what kind of following
>interbase has.  So I get on the net and have trawl around and guess what
>.. an eeiry silence. A couple of people here and there but nothing much.

>WHAT'S WITH THIS PRODUCT IS IT JUST BAD MARKETING, AM I GOING MAD OR IS
>THERE SOME SERIOUS FLAW IN IT.

>Please advise before I spend a bucket load of cash, months of effort and
>many sleepless nights wondering if I'm making a big mistake.

Good question!
I've asked the same question before, but I couldn't really see what's wrong
with Interbase. I have D3(c/s), but I was also put off by the lack of
Interbase users. So I decided to go for another solution:
Solid Server and ODBCExpress. Works very well so far :-)
The main reason for choosing Solid was that it's virtually maintenance free,
and it uses odbc as the native interface. You don't need a database manager
to keep it working.
Choosing ODBCExpress was to be able to very easily change the DB engine if
Solid Server turned out to be a bad choice (which it wasn't..), without
losing speed.

But I guess Interbase is OK too ?

--
|| Bjorn K. Nilssen      // http://home.sn.no/~bjoernk/  // mainly 3D ||

Re:Why aren't more people using interbase?

It's just too expensive. Compare pricing for the brilliant Sybase SQL
Anywhere which everyone I know is using with Delphi 3.

Duncan Green wrote:
> So I'm all keyed up ready to get the press rolling on my next client server
> solution when someone suggests looking into what kind of following
> interbase has.  So I get on the net and have trawl around and guess what
> .. an eeiry silence. A couple of people here and there but nothing much.

There are some newsgroups at  news.mers.com

Aage J.

In article <01bcc109$34076ea0$130ac8c3@sjm-p133> "Steve Moran" <st...@silverlink.co.uk> writes:
>It's just too expensive. Compare pricing for the brilliant Sybase SQL
>Anywhere which everyone I know is using with Delphi 3.
>> WHAT'S WITH THIS PRODUCT IS IT JUST BAD MARKETING, AM I GOING MAD OR IS
>> THERE SOME SERIOUS FLAW IN IT.

>> Please advise before I spend a bucket load of cash, months of effort and
>> many sleepless nights wondering if I'm making a big mistake.

It would be very interesting to many of us here, if we could read a
head-to-head comparing Interbase with SQL Anywhere.

But from my perspective, "pricing" isn't the #1 factor.  There is nothing at
all unreasonable about Interbase pricing.

What's significant to me is scalability as the application grows.  For
example, MS is in quite a pickle because their much-vaunted SQL Server product
does not run on Win95.  The "thing" they are planning to roll out to fill the
Win95 void isn't compatible.  No one, but no one, wants to do the application
or even the database all-over-again just because it grew.

And of course, there's that etherial stuff called "risk."  None of the
products have very much brand-name recognition except Oracle and (by default)
Microsoft.  None of them are doing a terribly brilliant job of marketing their
wares to the public although Oracle *has* gotten several linear-inches of
space on most bookstore shelves.

Duncan Green wrote:

> This is really beginning to puzzle me.

> I've been looking at interbase for that last couple of weeks and it seems
> that as relational databases go it's pretty good.  Standard SQL '92 but
> well implemented with some very useful enhancements in the procedure and
> trigger language.

> So I'm all keyed up ready to get the press rolling on my next client server
> solution when someone suggests looking into what kind of following
> interbase has.  So I get on the net and have trawl around and guess what
> .. an eeiry silence. A couple of people here and there but nothing much.

> WHAT'S WITH THIS PRODUCT IS IT JUST BAD MARKETING, AM I GOING MAD OR IS
> THERE SOME SERIOUS FLAW IN IT.

> Please advise before I spend a bucket load of cash, months of effort and
> many sleepless nights wondering if I'm making a big mistake.

> Duncan Green.

I've been wondering why more people don't use Borland Products period. A
few people think Borland might go out of business and are hesitant to
get involved with the company.

Other's complain about a lack of support.

Re:Why aren't more people using interbase?

In article <news-reply.6211.002A8...@sundialservices.com>,

news-re...@sundialservices.com (Sundial Services) wrote:
>In article <01bcc109$34076ea0$130ac8c3@sjm-p133> "Steve Moran" <st...@silverlink.co.uk> writes:

>It would be very interesting to many of us here, if we could read a
>head-to-head comparing Interbase with SQL Anywhere.

>But from my perspective, "pricing" isn't the #1 factor.  There is nothing at
>all unreasonable about Interbase pricing.

>What's significant to me is scalability as the application grows.  For
>example, MS is in quite a pickle because their much-vaunted SQL Server product
>does not run on Win95.  The "thing" they are planning to roll out to fill the
>Win95 void isn't compatible.  No one, but no one, wants to do the application
>or even the database all-over-again just because it grew.

Agreed! That's exactly the beauty of Solid Server. It scales from the humble
desktop single user, to multi-user databases running on all from Win95, NT,
Unix, Linux, VAX, Novell etc. Even from the web. And moving from one platform
to another is as simple as moving the database file(s) and instaaling the
server. You can't make single databases larger than 30TB though, but I don't
think I'll ever hit that limit...

>And of course, there's that etherial stuff called "risk."  None of the
>products have very much brand-name recognition except Oracle and (by default)
>Microsoft.  None of them are doing a terribly brilliant job of marketing their
>wares to the public although Oracle *has* gotten several linear-inches of
>space on most bookstore shelves.

Again, Solid can be accessed from any program that uses ODBC. If, by any
chance, it should be necessary to switch to another server, it can be always
easily be done.

IMHO there are a few things that you like better the more you use it.
For me that's Delphi and Solid server (and Caligari trueSpace), as opposed to
VB (and 3D Studio)...

--

In article <5vj5oi$r5...@news01.li.net> fr...@northeast.net (Fred Bubbers) writes:
>This is probably the biggest problem. During evaluations at large companies,
>Delphi always beats VB. It loses because of Borland's financial problems.

This may be so in your case, but I suspect that "financial problems" are not
the companies' only concern.  For many situations, the relative ease with
which VB developers can be found (in case you walk) is also a consideration.

But to be fair, any software company on earth has financial problems relative
to a company that's sitting on $9 billion in cash by not paying a drachma of
dividends to its shareholders...

Re:Why aren't more people using interbase?

"Duncan Green" <dun...@dazzler.clara.net> wrote:

  >This is really beginning to puzzle me.
  >
  >I've been looking at interbase for that last couple of weeks and it =
seems
  >that as relational databases go it's pretty good.  Standard SQL '92 =
but
  >well implemented with some very useful enhancements in the procedure =
and
  >trigger language.
  >
  >So I'm all keyed up ready to get the press rolling on my next client =
server
  >solution when someone suggests looking into what kind of following
  >interbase has.  So I get on the net and have trawl around and guess =
what
  >.. an eeiry silence. A couple of people here and there but nothing =
much.

  >WHAT'S WITH THIS PRODUCT IS IT JUST BAD MARKETING, AM I GOING MAD OR =
IS
  >THERE SOME SERIOUS FLAW IN IT.
  >
  >Please advise before I spend a bucket load of cash, months of effort =
and
  >many sleepless nights wondering if I'm making a big mistake.
  >
  >
  >Duncan Green.

Have alook at=20
interb...@esunix1.emporia.edu
which is a listserver. The traffic there is heavy.
I agree that the marketing is not as it should be, but Interbase has
it's own company now (www.interbase.com) so hopefully things will get
better.

Paul

Re:Why aren't more people using interbase?

>> WHAT'S WITH THIS PRODUCT IS IT JUST BAD MARKETING, AM I GOING MAD OR IS
>> THERE SOME SERIOUS FLAW IN IT.

There's nothing wrong with interbase. I haven't seen any marketing at all, bad
or good.

>I've been wondering why more people don't use Borland Products period. A
>few people think Borland might go out of business and are hesitant to
>get involved with the company.

This is probably the biggest problem. During evaluations at large companies,
Delphi always beats VB. It loses because of Borland's financial problems.

Fred

Fred Bubbers            http://www.northeast.net/~fredb
Sound Beach, NY                     fr...@northeast.net