Delphi 1.5 ???

  Just after the Borland Conference there was a questionair on the
Borland Web site asking who would be intrested in a new version of the
Delphi 16 (Delphi 1.5), what you would like to see in it, and other
things.  Anyway a couple weeks ago it was taken off.

  Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone out there has heard or seen
anything about this subject.

Ed
DITW, Inc.

Re:Delphi 1.5 ???

Yes, they did a study on the feasibility of
releasing another 16 bit version of Delphi.
(Delphi 1.5)  Aparently, they are going forward
with it, and are going to eventually release it.
This is great, because there are still lots of
Win 3.x users out there that would be left in
the cold if Borland didn't.

<51ch8u$...@siesta.packet.net>...
>   Just after the Borland Conference there was a questionair on the
> Borland Web site asking who would be intrested in a new version of the
> Delphi 16 (Delphi 1.5), what you would like to see in it, and other
> things.  Anyway a couple weeks ago it was taken off.

>   Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone out there has heard or seen
> anything about this subject.

> Ed
> DITW, Inc.

Re:Delphi 1.5 ???

On 17/09/1996 02:52, in message <51kt0c$...@queeg.apci.net>, Nick Hodges

<nhod...@apci.net> wrote:
> > the cold if Borland didn't.

> Where did you hear this?

As simple as that...BORLAND!

I know of this as well! I just hope they use the same cool packing methods in
Delphi 1.5 as they use in Delphi 3.0 (as they demonstrated on the BDC).

Stefan

Re:Delphi 1.5 ???

"Andrew Meckler" <meck...@ns.net> wrote:
>Yes, they did a study on the feasibility of
>releasing another 16 bit version of Delphi.
>(Delphi 1.5)  Aparently, they are going forward
>with it, and are going to eventually release it.
>This is great, because there are still lots of
>Win 3.x users out there that would be left in
>the cold if Borland didn't.

Where did you hear this?

Nick Hodges
http://www.apci.net/~nhodges

Re:Delphi 1.5 ???

Stefan Paetow (CEO) wrote:

> On 17/09/1996 02:52, in message <51kt0c$...@queeg.apci.net>, Nick Hodges
> <nhod...@apci.net> wrote:

> > > the cold if Borland didn't.

> > Where did you hear this?

> As simple as that...BORLAND!

> I know of this as well! I just hope they use the same cool packing methods in
> Delphi 1.5 as they use in Delphi 3.0 (as they demonstrated on the BDC).

> Stefan

What is that "cool packing methods" you are talking about?

Just curious,
Sylvain.

Re:Delphi 1.5 ???

On 17/09/1996 15:39, in message <323EA9FC.4...@nortel.ca>, "Sylvain St.Germain"

<sgerm...@nortel.ca> wrote:
> What is that "cool packing methods" you are talking about?

Our local Borland Office sent one of their staff to the BDC. He came back
reporting to us of a new packing method. Currently the entire VCL is compiled
and linked into the EXE of your application (hence the enormous size).

Borland seems to have devised a new packing method where only THOSE components
are packed (linked) into your EXE that are necessary, as well as their
ancestors (basically the ancestor class and the changed/added properties, as
well as their values).

This obviously reduces the EXE's size by a significant bit. He says that they
had two identical apps written in Delphi 2.0 and 3.0, they had the same code
and did they same thing. The Delphi 2.0 app had a size of roughly 200K, the
Delphi 3.0 app a size of about 25K.

Isn't that cool???

Stefan

Re:Delphi 1.5 ???

In article <N.091896.114601.45@thelink> del...@iafrica.com (Stefan Paetow (CEO)) writes:

>From: del...@iafrica.com (Stefan Paetow (CEO))
>Subject: Re: Delphi 1.5 ???
>Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 09:46:01 GMT
>On 17/09/1996 15:39, in message <323EA9FC.4...@nortel.ca>, "Sylvain St.Germain"
><sgerm...@nortel.ca> wrote:
>> What is that "cool packing methods" you are talking about?

>Our local Borland Office sent one of their staff to the BDC. He came back
>reporting to us of a new packing method. Currently the entire VCL is compiled
>and linked into the EXE of your application (hence the enormous size).
>Borland seems to have devised a new packing method where only THOSE components
>are packed (linked) into your EXE that are necessary, as well as their
>ancestors (basically the ancestor class and the changed/added properties, as
>well as their values).
>This obviously reduces the EXE's size by a significant bit. He says that they
>had two identical apps written in Delphi 2.0 and 3.0, they had the same code
>and did they same thing. The Delphi 2.0 app had a size of roughly 200K, the
>Delphi 3.0 app a size of about 25K.

-------------------

It's also credible. I have scanned through the Delphi 2 EXE files and there is
almost endless duplication, even (or especially) of ASCII text.

Re:Delphi 1.5 ???

m(C>>This obviously reduces the EXE's size by a significant bit. He says that
m(C>>had two identical apps written in Delphi 2.0 and 3.0, they had the same
m(C>>and did they same thing. The Delphi 2.0 app had a size of roughly 200K,
m(C>>Delphi 3.0 app a size of about 25K.
m(C>-------------------

m(C>It's also credible. I have scanned through the Delphi 2 EXE files and the
m(C>almost endless duplication, even (or especially) of ASCII text.

Remember, this decrease in .EXE size comes from moving VCL stuff into a DLL. I
don't remember being shown how big the .DLL became when the technology was
shown, but I would guess (I could be wrong though) that total size is not all
that different.
 tHyperSoft HyperReader 1.0t

Re:Delphi 1.5 ???

On 20/09/1996 00:10, in message <MBIN.57229....@infolink.no>, Eivind Bakkestuen

<eiv...@infolink.no> wrote:
> Remember, this decrease in .EXE size comes from moving VCL stuff into a DLL. I
> don't remember being shown how big the .DLL became when the technology was
> shown, but I would guess (I could be wrong though) that total size is not all
> that different.

AFAIK, they didn't move the VCL into a DLL, but only linked those components
necessary to run the App...not the entire VCL...

Stefan

Re:Delphi 1.5 ???

In article <MBIN.57229....@infolink.no>, eiv...@infolink.no wrote:
>m(C>>This obviously reduces the EXE's size by a significant bit. He says that
>m(C>>had two identical apps written in Delphi 2.0 and 3.0, they had the same
>m(C>>and did they same thing. The Delphi 2.0 app had a size of roughly 200K,
>m(C>>Delphi 3.0 app a size of about 25K.
>m(C>-------------------

>m(C>It's also credible. I have scanned through the Delphi 2 EXE files and the
>m(C>almost endless duplication, even (or especially) of ASCII text.

>Remember, this decrease in .EXE size comes from moving VCL stuff into a DLL. I
>don't remember being shown how big the .DLL became when the technology was
>shown, but I would guess (I could be wrong though) that total size is not all
>that differeNT

Why store it in a DLL is you don't need it.

If them simply removed the routines you don't need. It can save quite a lot.

Happy Hacking The Graphical Gnome

| Rob den Braasem    | Voice :-31-79-3531520 |
|                    | Fax   :-31-79-3513561 |
|                    | Mail  : r...@ktibv.nl  |
| KTI bv             | "I die when it's time for me to die.        |
| P.O. Box 86        | So let me live  my life the way I want to." |
| 2700 AB Zoetermeer |                                             |
| The Netherlands    |   Jimi Hendrix                              |

Other Threads