App changes Windows desktop image color

I have an app written in Delphi 4 which changes the color of an image used
as wallpaper on the Windows desktop when the app starts and sometimes when
other forms in the app are opened.  When you drag the form, the image is
repainted normally in a trail from where it was.  It seems to happen
primarily when the display is set for 256 colors.  Any suggestions on what's
going on would be appreciated.

Re:App changes Windows desktop image color

When the graphics card is set to only display 256 colors,
it uses a palette. An application displaying an image
can change the palette of the card, therefore the colors
change. There is not much you can do about it, except
switching to true color, when the card is able to.

Rene

Bud Forrest wrote:

> I have an app written in Delphi 4 which changes the color of an image used
> as wallpaper on the Windows desktop when the app starts and sometimes when
> other forms in the app are opened.  When you drag the form, the image is
> repainted normally in a trail from where it was.  It seems to happen
> primarily when the display is set for 256 colors.  Any suggestions on what's
> going on would be appreciated.

Re:App changes Windows desktop image color

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999 06:15:54 -0600, "Bud Forrest"

<bforr...@entertec.com> wrote:
>I have an app written in Delphi 4 which changes the color of an image used
>as wallpaper on the Windows desktop when the app starts and sometimes when
>other forms in the app are opened.  When you drag the form, the image is
>repainted normally in a trail from where it was.  It seems to happen
>primarily when the display is set for 256 colors.  Any suggestions on what's
>going on would be appreciated.

The bitmaps used in your application don't use the same palette as in
the bitmap you use for your wallpaper. As Rene says, there's not a lot
you can do apart from not using 256-color bitmaps in your application.

-Steve

Re:App changes Windows desktop image color

Dont forget to add the windows 16 colours to your image palette.  Both paint
shop pro and debabilizer pro can do this.

Geoff

Bud Forrest <bforr...@entertec.com> wrote in message

>I have an app written in Delphi 4 which changes the color of an image used
>as wallpaper on the Windows desktop when the app starts and sometimes when
>other forms in the app are opened.  When you drag the form, the image is
>repainted normally in a trail from where it was.  It seems to happen
>primarily when the display is set for 256 colors.  Any suggestions on
what's
>going on would be appreciated.

Other Threads