InterBase, TCP/IP and Internet Dialer

I think I saw this question answered recently but I cannot find it.  When I
create an InterBase alias and specify a TCP/IP connection for the Path Name
(i.e., "Server:C:\Data\Database.GDB"), I invariably get my Internet dialer
displayed.  Does anyone know why?

Thank you.

Randy Minder

Re:InterBase, TCP/IP and Internet Dialer

Possibly not unconnected to the fact that maybe you're referring to a server
that isn't local and therefore your system thinks "Ah ha we have an IP
address which isn't on this system therefore I need to dial to the Internet
to get connected".

I take it that the name of the server that you put in place of "Server"
resolves to a local IP address? You could always try "localhost" instead

--
j...@yagya.demon.co.uk

Randy Minder wrote in message <01bd72c3$ca781b20$8279d4cd@p5166>...
>I think I saw this question answered recently but I cannot find it.  When I
>create an InterBase alias and specify a TCP/IP connection for the Path Name
>(i.e., "Server:C:\Data\Database.GDB"), I invariably get my Internet dialer
>displayed.  Does anyone know why?

>Thank you.

>Randy Minder

Re:InterBase, TCP/IP and Internet Dialer

I have not seem the origenal post so am guessing that the problem is that
windows starts up RAS? ... this being the case you should also check that
you have "connect to internet as needed" unchecked in your "control panel
/ Internet / Connection" tab.

- A.

In article <6i9o87$g...@forums.borland.com>, j...@yagya.demon.co.uk
says...

> Possibly not unconnected to the fact that maybe you're referring to a server
> that isn't local and therefore your system thinks "Ah ha we have an IP
> address which isn't on this system therefore I need to dial to the Internet
> to get connected".

> I take it that the name of the server that you put in place of "Server"
> resolves to a local IP address? You could always try "localhost" instead

> --
> j...@yagya.demon.co.uk
> Randy Minder wrote in message <01bd72c3$ca781b20$8279d4cd@p5166>...
> >I think I saw this question answered recently but I cannot find it.  When I
> >create an InterBase alias and specify a TCP/IP connection for the Path Name
> >(i.e., "Server:C:\Data\Database.GDB"), I invariably get my Internet dialer
> >displayed.  Does anyone know why?

> >Thank you.

> >Randy Minder

Other Threads