Board index » delphi » How to display an Explorer-like folder window

How to display an Explorer-like folder window

        Hi,

        I'm currently developing a file management program and I'd like to present
folders to the user with the seem look as Windows Exploer (i.e.: same icons,
mainly). I suppose I could search the registry for all the extensions of the
folder files, but it seems a costly operation. Is there an API function/system
ActiveX I can use for acomplishing this?

        Also I've got a ShellIconCache file in my system root directory. I guess
that it's Explorer's cache, and that I could use it... Does anybody know it's
structure?

        Than you for all,

                Carlos Izquierdo
                amig...@lander.es

 

Re:How to display an Explorer-like folder window


Quote
Carlos Izquierdo wrote in message <368e420e.2416...@news.lander.es>...

> Hi,

> I'm currently developing a file management program and I'd like to present
>folders to the user with the seem look as Windows Exploer (i.e.: same
icons,
>mainly). I suppose I could search the registry for all the extensions of
the
>folder files, but it seems a costly operation. Is there an API
function/system
>ActiveX I can use for acomplishing this?

To get the icon associated with a file, call "SHGetFileInfo".

Chris
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Marriott, SkyMap Software, UK (ch...@skymap.com)
Visit our web site at http://www.skymap.com
Astronomy software written by astronomers, for astronomers

Re:How to display an Explorer-like folder window


Carlos,

You can use SHGetFileInfo() or GetAssociatedIcon() - for both of these,
see the Win32 API help file.

HTH

Ken
--
Ken White

Clipper Functions for Delphi
http://members.aol.com/clipfunc

Quote
Carlos Izquierdo wrote:

>         Hi,

>         I'm currently developing a file management program and I'd like to present
> folders to the user with the seem look as Windows Exploer (i.e.: same icons,
> mainly). I suppose I could search the registry for all the extensions of the
> folder files, but it seems a costly operation. Is there an API function/system
> ActiveX I can use for acomplishing this?

>         Also I've got a ShellIconCache file in my system root directory. I guess
> that it's Explorer's cache, and that I could use it... Does anybody know it's
> structure?

>         Than you for all,

>                 Carlos Izquierdo
>                 amig...@lander.es

Re:How to display an Explorer-like folder window


In article: <368e420e.2416...@news.lander.es>  amig...@lander.es (Carlos Izquierdo)
writes:

Quote

>    Hi,

>    I'm currently developing a file management program and I'd like to present
> folders to the user with the seem look as Windows Exploer (i.e.: same icons,
> mainly). I suppose I could search the registry for all the extensions of the
> folder files, but it seems a costly operation. Is there an API function/system
> ActiveX I can use for acomplishing this?

>    Also I've got a ShellIconCache file in my system root directory. I guess
> that it's Explorer's cache, and that I could use it... Does anybody know it's
> structure?

Goto Brad Stowers web site. He's done all this in two components. They are amazingly
good and free.

Quote

--

Greg Lorriman co. inc. & sons Ltd

Re:How to display an Explorer-like folder window


Quote
Greg Lorriman wrote in message <244342482...@lorriman.demon.co.uk>...

[snip question about Explorer-like folder window]

Quote

>Goto Brad Stowers web site. He's done all this in two components. They are
amazingly
>good and free.

Is there something you're not telling us?

--
Garry Knight
Computer programmer, psychotherapist, writer
ga...@garryknight.freeserve.co.uk

Re:How to display an Explorer-like folder window


Hi Garry,

You mean like:

http://www.pobox.com/~bstowers/delphi/

:-)

Ken
--
Ken White

Clipper Functions for Delphi
http://members.aol.com/clipfunc

Quote
Garry Knight wrote:

> Greg Lorriman wrote in message <244342482...@lorriman.demon.co.uk>...
> [snip question about Explorer-like folder window]

> >Goto Brad Stowers web site. He's done all this in two components. They are
> amazingly
> >good and free.

> Is there something you're not telling us?

> --
> Garry Knight
> Computer programmer, psychotherapist, writer
> ga...@garryknight.freeserve.co.uk

Other Threads