What files to distribute with app?

I'm confused.  We wrote an application that uses the Internet toolkit, and
lucky for me, I stumbled upon Borland's document, on their web page, telling
what DLLs and OCXs have to be distributed with the application.  Otherwise I
would never have known, because QuickView and TDUMP do not show calls to
these DLLs.  I gather the DLLs are loaded at runtime?

What is the correct, definitive way to find out what other files (of the
DLL/OCX/VBX type) that a Windows application requires?

Thanks,
Michael Covington
Artificial Intelligence Center
The University of Georgia

Re:What files to distribute with app?

Hi!
Imho I think it is big mistake to use OCX components. There are always
normal ones. You can always find something for you. But back to your
problem. Well, maybe it is a stupid solution, but I would suggest you to
look into your EXE and make a search for ".DLL" and ".OCX". You will find
100% of OCX files, but it little bit comlicated when you are searching for
".DLL". You will find kernel32.dll and stuff like this. But if you will find
some non-system DLLs - be sure you found the one you are looking for. Hope
this will help.

P.S. Yeah, and about Internet toolkit. As I said, I don't like OCX concept.
If you want to find the BEST Internet components, get ICS (Internet
Component Suite) from Francois Piette (at the Torry's or DSP). And forget
this Internet toolkit. It sux.

With best regards,

Jevgenij Gorbunov - gorbu...@med.muni.cz
Czech Republic, Brno. ICQ: 11471114.
Medicine, computers, translations, ...
Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial/junk/spam e-mail
will be MAILBOMBED. So think before you act...

Michael A. Covington D??? ???Y?? <6l2ciq$j4...@camel29.mindspring.com>

Michael A. Covington wrote:

.

>I'm confused.  We wrote an application that uses the Internet toolkit, and
>lucky for me, I stumbled upon Borland's document, on their web page, telling
>what DLLs and OCXs have to be distributed with the application.  OtherwiseI
>would never have known, because QuickView and TDUMP do not show calls to
>these DLLs.  I gather the DLLs are loaded at runtime?

>What is the correct, definitive way to find out what other files (of the
>DLL/OCX/VBX type) that a Windows application requires?

I've only used a few OCXs (and will try to avoid them from now) and they are a
bear to get distributed.  As far as I know -- the only good way to know what
needs to go is for the author of the package to list the files somewhere in the
docs.

Often this will include minimum versions of some system DLLs (which you then
HAVE to ship using MS update SE EXEs -- my OCX vendor included the right ones).
 My install routine then spawns the two update EXEs (which determine for
themselves what needs updating on the target system).  The final insult is the
OCX registration hoops I needed to jump through.

The long and the short of it seems to be that you have to get the info from the
component creator and they need to provide that info for any DLL or OCX files
that they require.  One note--shipping MS upgrades outside of their patch EXE
is a VERY bad idea.  Anyone know a better answer?

Nate

 Foolproof systems always underestimate
 the ingenuity of a fool.

 Clipper Functions 4.0 for Delphi