Maintenance Plans, Jobs and Transaction management

Hello kind denizens of the SQL Server newsgroups,

I've a small question here, though it's been plaguing as if it were a large
one.  I've set up a DB Maintenance Plan that does optimization and db backup
jobs.  I was wondering if anyone knew how to to transaction management on
each of these steps so that they wouldn't interfere with one another,
wreaking havoc on my database.

The reason I ask is because one of the steps that has been troublesome in
the past is the index cleanup.  It seems if this happens to run at the same
time as another job it will hose the indexes of whatever tables it might be
working on at the time.

Anyway, the gist of the questoin is, can I run multiple jobs in a single
transaction to make sure that none interfere with each other?

TIA for all your help,

Daniel