Microsoft NT Terminal server (SQL server 7)

Hello,

For experienced developper on NT Terminal server, I have 3 questions :

1- Do applications developped with delphi 4 work well on a Microsoft NT
Terminal Server ? Do we need to develop appli. in special way for
Terminal Server ?
2- If we have an appli whose name is "STP" and a Database SQL server on
the server.  Could we have a mixed configuration where 4 Workstation NT
(acting in classic Client/Server mode) and 4 Terminal PC (old PC 486
acting as terminal PC) turn the same "STP" appli accessing the same
Database on the server.
3- In classic Client/Server mode, we advice each Workstation PC to have
minimum 64 MB RAM.  For Terminal emulation do we need to add 4 * 64 MB
RAM to the server ?

Thanks for any help.

Denis Dresse

Re:Microsoft NT Terminal server (SQL server 7)

Denis Dresse <denis.dre...@decis.be> wrote in message

> Hello,

> For experienced developper on NT Terminal server, I have 3 questions :

> 1- Do applications developped with delphi 4 work well on a Microsoft NT
> Terminal Server ? Do we need to develop appli. in special way for
> Terminal Server ?

Yes it works great, the only things you need to worry about is if you use
cached updates, each instance needs its own directory (just like normal),
and if you each user to have thier own settings then make sure you save
/load registry settings from CurrentUser and not LocalMachine

> 2- If we have an appli whose name is "STP" and a Database SQL server on
> the server.  Could we have a mixed configuration where 4 Workstation NT
> (acting in classic Client/Server mode) and 4 Terminal PC (old PC 486
> acting as terminal PC) turn the same "STP" appli accessing the same
> Database on the server.

Yes I've done the same thing before and it works great.  (As long as your
server can handle it)

> 3- In classic Client/Server mode, we advice each Workstation PC to have
> minimum 64 MB RAM.  For Terminal emulation do we need to add 4 * 64 MB
> RAM to the server ?

Well the requirements aren't that straight forward, for instance the os has
a certain amount of overhead.  But its overhead for the entire system, not
for each user.  Best thing to do is to try it and monitor memory usage.
However a system with 256 for 4 clients should be more than enough. and
should be able to handle office and anything else you though at it in
adition to your client/server apps.

Blaine Whittle

Denis Dresse wrote:

> 1- Do applications developped with delphi 4 work well on a Microsoft NT
> Terminal Server ? Do we need to develop appli. in special way for
> Terminal Server ?

Yes and No.

> 2- If we have an appli whose name is "STP" and a Database SQL server on
> the server.  Could we have a mixed configuration where 4 Workstation NT
> (acting in classic Client/Server mode) and 4 Terminal PC (old PC 486
> acting as terminal PC) turn the same "STP" appli accessing the same
> Database on the server.

Yes.

> 3- In classic Client/Server mode, we advice each Workstation PC to have
> minimum 64 MB RAM.  For Terminal emulation do we need to add 4 * 64 MB
> RAM to the server ?

No, there's no terminal emulation going on, it's Windows messages being
passed back and forth. We're running it on a machine with 64mb with no
problems, and it's being used in testing by half a dozen people.

Other Threads