Getting Faster Keyboard Input

Hi All,
This is probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.

I'm using a 2D barcode scanner wedged into the keyboard. The barcode I'm
scanning contains 1500 characters which I'm capturing into an memo control.
It consistently takes 22s on my box for this data to dribble in. I thought
perhaps disabling the redraw in the control might help but it did'nt and I
also tried not using a control entirely and grabbing the data in the form
keypress event with keypreview but that did'nt help either.

Is there anyway to increase the maximum number of characters per second the
keyboard can receive?

If I used a global keyboard hook would that speed things up?

Does anyone know the maximum throughput on an AT style keyboard?

Thanks

MavenWare SoftSystem Solutions
18 Ridge Road
Clark, New Jersey 07066 USA
Scott Kellish, Owner
Tel.      +01 732 382 1873
Fax:     +01 732 382 1873
Mobile: +01 732 261-5856
e-mail:  skell...@comcast.net

Re:Getting Faster Keyboard Input

BTW, I know I can get fast throughput using a serial interface but we're
trying to avoid that.

Scott

"Scott Kellish" <skell...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Hi All,
> This is probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.

> I'm using a 2D barcode scanner wedged into the keyboard. The barcode I'm
> scanning contains 1500 characters which I'm capturing into an memo
control.
> It consistently takes 22s on my box for this data to dribble in. I thought
> perhaps disabling the redraw in the control might help but it did'nt and I
> also tried not using a control entirely and grabbing the data in the form
> keypress event with keypreview but that did'nt help either.

> Is there anyway to increase the maximum number of characters per second
the
> keyboard can receive?

> If I used a global keyboard hook would that speed things up?

> Does anyone know the maximum throughput on an AT style keyboard?

> Thanks

> --
> MavenWare SoftSystem Solutions
> 18 Ridge Road
> Clark, New Jersey 07066 USA
> Scott Kellish, Owner
> Tel.      +01 732 382 1873
> Fax:     +01 732 382 1873
> Mobile: +01 732 261-5856
> e-mail:  skell...@comcast.net

Re:Getting Faster Keyboard Input

Check to see if you can change the speed in your BIOS.

For Award BIOS look in the "BIOS Features Setup"
look for "Typematic Rate" options.

Hope this helps.

Ray A.

> Is there anyway to increase the maximum number of characters per second
the
> keyboard can receive?

Re:Getting Faster Keyboard Input

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 17:38:34 -0500, "Scott Kellish"

<skell...@comcast.net> wrote:
>BTW, I know I can get fast throughput using a serial interface but we're
>trying to avoid that.

Scott, you are using a serial interface. It just happens to be the
slowest form possible, designed for finger tapping speed. The keyboard
hardware interface does not incorporate a uart. If you can use RS232 you
will be much better off.

BTW the bios setting is for the repeat rate and has nothing to do with
the data transfer speed at all. I'm certain (almost) that the repeats
are generated in the bios itself; not the keyboard.
--
Bill Boulton
using D3 Std on a 98SE box

Re:Getting Faster Keyboard Input

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:40:31 +0100, Ralf Loth <Del...@ralfloth.de>
wrote:

[snip]

> > I'm certain (almost) that the repeats
>> are generated in the bios itself; not the keyboard.

>Disagreed <g>, I'm pretty sure that the repeat rate and the repeat
>delay are transfered to the keyboard by the bios (and maybe again
>by the OS later). The keyboard interface is bidirectional.

You'r probably right. I havn't seen anything on low-level hacks for
yonks. (sigh..)

>You could use it as a (slow speed) bus in the good old DOS times....

You mean when gooey was something you stepped in and swore about?
--
Bill Boulton
using D3 Std on a 98SE box

Other Threads