TListView Incremental Search

I am using a TListView in D5.  I am using this to display several items from
which the user can select multiple items.  I am using the check boxes to do
the selection.

The first column is an usually a number.  When the user starts typing a
number, I want it to highlight the correct row.  This works most of the time
however when the user is trying to pick a number such as 222, or any
consecutive digit, it selects 200 then the second 2 moves the selection to
201 and finally the 3rd key press moves it to 202.  It seems to have the
same result as pressing the down arrow.

Is there a way to get around this so that when they press 222 it will
highlight the row 222 instead of 202?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tim