Q: Reading the contents of a memo field programmatically

Could anyone give me some help on how to access a TMemoField from a table?

I've found a chunk of code from a FAQ that uses a TBlobStream but it
doesn't actually work, useful :-(

What I would like to show in a DBGrid is the first say 50 chars of the
TMemoField.  I'm using the fields editor to create a TStringField to hold
this and calculating it in the OnCalcFields event of the table.

I'm using both Delphi v1 & 2 so I'd prefer generic code if possible.

Email response ASAP as my ISP's newsgroup server takes ages for postings to
appear.

TIA

Andy Dix
a...@anglianet.co.uk