Bugs specifiying a bitmap for a component palette. A cautionary tale.

If you add your own component to the palette with a bitmap of your own,
and get error "Resource file format incorrect" (or similar) read on.

I made my bitmap by happily taking a copy of an existing DCR file,
modifying one of the bitmaps and renaming it to my component. Then
deleted all the other bitmaps and saved the file. When I added the
the component to the palette, the build failed with message above.
Strange. I played around several times. After one attempt, all the
deleted bitmaps in the DCR file had been restored, so I saved the file
to a new name. Still no joy. Shortly, I ran out of disk during a library
build - the offending DCR file had grown to size of the complib.DCL
file. Stranger yet.

At this point I created a brand new DCR file, and used Clipboard to
copy the bitmap from old to the new. This finally worked!

My conclusion - the code that reads the DCR file during a library rebuild
is different from that which reads it in the Image editor, and I suspect
buggy.

Phil Scadden, Scadden Research, P.Scad...@gns.cri.nz
55 Buick St, Petone, Lower Hutt
New Zealand, Ph ++64 4 5687190, fax ++64 4 5695016

Re:Bugs specifiying a bitmap for a component palette. A cautionary tale.

Perhaps I'm not entirely clear on what you're doing here,
but I do know that the ImagEdit program that comes with
Delphi is totally buggy (even the tech support people told
me to avoid it).  Do not use it to create or update resource
files.

R.Hogen

In article <DCrA2n....@actrix.gen.nz> P.Scad...@gns.cri.nz writes:
>At this point I created a brand new DCR file, and used Clipboard to
>copy the bitmap from old to the new. This finally worked!

>My conclusion - the code that reads the DCR file during a library rebuild
>is different from that which reads it in the Image editor, and I suspect
>buggy.

I've had similar problems with bitmaps for DCRs in the image editor,
including your one of deleted bitmaps reappearing...

Commonly I'll cut and paste portions of bitmaps, save and close the DCR and
then find the pasted portions missing.  My current problem is with a bitmap
which, after a little editing, suddenly displays all its blacks and dark
grey pixels as light grey -- not while editing mind, but AFTER a library
rebuild.

Dat dere Image Editor is more than a bit buggy, methinks. Use with care.

--
cheers,
peter

     Peter Hyde, South Pacific Information Services Ltd, Christchurch, NZ
         while BombeNuclearTestCount > 0 do Dec(BombeNuclearTestCount);

Re:Bugs specifiying a bitmap for a component palette. A cautionary tale.

In article <807765192.847...@spis.equinox.gen.nz> pe...@spis.equinox.gen.nz
(Peter Hyde) writes:
> In article <DCrA2n....@actrix.gen.nz> P.Scad...@gns.cri.nz writes:

> [deleted]

> Dat dere Image Editor is more than a bit buggy, methinks. Use with care.

> [deleted]

>      Peter Hyde, South Pacific Information Services Ltd, Christchurch, NZ
>          while BombeNuclearTestCount > 0 do Dec(BombeNuclearTestCount);

So what other editors are there for editing BMP and ICO files?  I've had a very
hard time finding an ICO editor that would allow me to copy from 256 color BMP
images to ICO images!!  Please help!!

- Drew
--
+----------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
|          Drew Davidson           | Q: Where did the names C and C++    |

d...@its.com (Drew Davidson) wrote:
>So what other editors are there for editing BMP and ICO files?  I've had a very
>hard time finding an ICO editor that would allow me to copy from 256 color BMP
>images to ICO images!!  Please help!!

Resource Workshop (comes with the RAD pack or Borland Pascal 7.0 or
TPW 1.5) I don't know if it still available separatly (I bought one
separatly in the TPW 1.0 days, but thats a LONG time ago :)= )

If you only want BMP's, you can use paintbrush which  comes free with
Windows.

Other Threads