Updating the BDE from 4.51 to 5.20

I have D3Pro installed together with BDE 4.51, and want to upgrade the
BDE to 5.20. I have downloaded and run bdemm52pro.exe which has created
a folder, c:\program file\borland\bdemergemodulepro and installed three
files bde_pro.msm, bdemmcfg.exe and a readme file.

The readme contains information on incorporating the merge module in an
installer, but nothing about upgrading an existing BDE installation.
The obvious thing is to run bdemmcfg.exe, or is it? I would rather not
muddle through if there are instructions I have overlooked.

Thanks for any help,

Bob
---
Sent using Virtual Access 5.01 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

Re:Updating the BDE from 4.51 to 5.20

To use the merge module you will need an installation program that uses
Windows Installer. An easier solution is available at
http://ibinstall.defined.net .

--
Bill

Re:Updating the BDE from 4.51 to 5.20

After reading about 100 messages on Google I realise how *naive* I was
to think that it would be a simple matter of running bdemmcfg.exe.

Anyone who, like me, has studied Harry Potter should have realised that
*much* more powerful magic is required! That first one must download
several MB of BDE5.11 magic, install that, then download 7.9Mb of
5.2BDEMM magic, then several MB of Windows Installer magic and install
that, so that one can now install the 5.2BDEMM magic to turn the Mk4.51
frog into a Mk5.2 princess!

But in my quest for the philosopher's stone I discovered an Ace
Magician called "Robinson" who in a cave which one enters with the
magic word "http://ibinstall.defined.net/dl_bdeinfo.htm" has even more
*powerful magic*. When the sun goes down I shall visit this cave.

Bob

Re:Updating the BDE from 4.51 to 5.20

Bill,

I had just homed into that site a few minutes before picking up your
message and in about as long as it takes to type this message had
upgraded the BDE.

Thanks,

Bob
---
Sent using Virtual Access 5.01 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

Re:Updating the BDE from 4.51 to 5.20

> But in my quest for the philosopher's stone I discovered an Ace
> Magician called "Robinson" who in a cave which one enters with the
> magic word "http://ibinstall.defined.net/dl_bdeinfo.htm" has even more
> *powerful magic*. When the sun goes down I shall visit this cave.

LOL!

I'm glad I could help.

David R.

Re:Updating the BDE from 4.51 to 5.20

The one thing that the BDEInfoSetup.zip doesn't install is another
"bdeinst.cab" file that has the 5.2 versions.  It would be nice to have that
in order to perform simpler installations rather than by using the merge
module (due to size of the merge module).  Any Suggestions oh, great master
David R.?

TIA
kangelos

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" <bill_nos...@dbginc.com> wrote in message
To use the merge module you will need an installation program that uses
Windows Installer. An easier solution is available at
http://ibinstall.defined.net .

--
Bill

Re:Updating the BDE from 4.51 to 5.20

Bill,

Thanks for the advice and I have used David Robinson's install program
which solves my immediate problem.

Bob
---
Sent using Virtual Access 5.01 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

Re:Updating the BDE from 4.51 to 5.20

Just out of interest,

a) how does Bdeinst.cab get used (I note it contains just one file,
bdeinst.dll), and
b) how does one go about producing a Cab file. I can find plenty on
extraction but nothing on the reverse.

Bob
---
Sent using Virtual Access 5.01 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

Re:Updating the BDE from 4.51 to 5.20

> The one thing that the BDEInfoSetup.zip doesn't install is another
> "bdeinst.cab" file that has the 5.2 versions.  It would be nice to
have that
> in order to perform simpler installations rather than by using the
merge
> module (due to size of the merge module).

BDEInfoSetup doesn't use the merge module.

I don't include the bdeinst.cab file (the bdeinst.dll file) because it
is 3.5 mb and I don't see any sense in including a (redundant) file that
you use to install the BDE when that's what the Wise script does.  What
is it that you want to do with the cab file?  I'm not sure I understand
what you are wanting.

David R.

Re:Updating the BDE from 4.51 to 5.20

David,

If I want to distribute 5.2 with a BDE-enabled App, how do I do that with
Borland-approved InstallShield Express, previously I could just include the
BDEInst.cab file and use a script from within Ishield to extract and
BDEinst.dll and put it in the right place.  I found that relying on
InstallShield Express to install the BDE properly was problematic.

If I read you correctly, I only need to tell InstallShield to run
BDEInfoSetup?

TIA,
Kent
(kange...@earthlink.net)
AngelSoft LLC

"David R. Robinson" <ibinst...@nospam.mail.com> wrote in message

> The one thing that the BDEInfoSetup.zip doesn't install is another
> "bdeinst.cab" file that has the 5.2 versions.  It would be nice to
have that
> in order to perform simpler installations rather than by using the
merge
> module (due to size of the merge module).

BDEInfoSetup doesn't use the merge module.

I don't include the bdeinst.cab file (the bdeinst.dll file) because it
is 3.5 mb and I don't see any sense in including a (redundant) file that
you use to install the BDE when that's what the Wise script does.  What
is it that you want to do with the cab file?  I'm not sure I understand
what you are wanting.

David R.

Re:Updating the BDE from 4.51 to 5.20

> If I want to distribute 5.2 with a BDE-enabled App, how do I do that
with
> Borland-approved InstallShield Express, previously I could just
include the
> BDEInst.cab file and use a script from within Ishield to extract and
> BDEinst.dll and put it in the right place.  I found that relying on
> InstallShield Express to install the BDE properly was problematic.

I've never used the cab file, but it is included with the BDE update if
you get Delphi 6.  It's probably even in the runimage folder (I don't
know for sure though).

> If I read you correctly, I only need to tell InstallShield to run

BDEInfoSetup?

Well, if InstallShield Express allowed you to call an external program,
you could, but I don't believe that is possible with InstallShield
Express.

David R.

> > If I read you correctly, I only need to tell InstallShield to run
> BDEInfoSetup?

> Well, if InstallShield Express allowed you to call an external
program,
> you could, but I don't believe that is possible with InstallShield
> Express.

David,

The registered version of IS Express allows you to call a custom DLL
as well as an external program (at  least the version I have does).
This is exactly the method I use for installing the BDE as different
versions of IS have proven to be unreliable with regards to the BDE
components. Tired of the problem I settled on a particular version of
IS for my BDE release image and have not looked back.

Rgds
Leslie.

Other Threads