Reports via ODBC via BDE on dBase...

This may sound rediculous, but I'm running out of options and am grasping at
straws.

The situation:
We are running a program called GoldMine, a dBase / MSSQL application based
on BDE.  We are running the dBase version.
We have a reporting requirement which requires relationships between
multiple tables in the GoldMine schema, so are using Seagate Crystal Reports
8.0 to generate this output.

The problem:
BDE and ODBC don't seem to want to share the tables.  Basically, if GoldMine
is open, the reports won't run, but if we have to close GoldMine everytime
we want to run a report, the sales peoples heads will explode.

The reason I'm posting this here:
My thinking, (possibly a bit simple) is that if Crystal was using BDE to
access the tables, this would be a non-issue.  But that isn't an option.
(Doh!)  However, what if Crystal talked to ODBC, and ODBC talked to BDE?

The question:
Is there an ODBC wrapper to access dBase via BDE?  (I couldn't just ask the
question as people would think I was nuts, not to say they won't anyway.)

Thanks in advance!

Mike.

Re:Reports via ODBC via BDE on dBase...

Mike,

> We are running a program called GoldMine, a dBase / MSSQL application
based
> on BDE.  We are running the dBase version.
> We have a reporting requirement which requires relationships between
> multiple tables in the GoldMine schema, so are using Seagate Crystal
Reports
> 8.0 to generate this output.

I'm not sure if it'll apply, but the following information was discussed
between some GoldMine resellers :

> I have had to put a similar adjustment as the following using terminal
> server Citrix and the CentriXX tool bar, that launches GM.  Without
> sharedmemlocation, we were unable to load BDE and hence GM.

> GM 4.0   MAXFileHandles        = 100 or 250 if syncing
>                 SharedMemLocation = 7F00 (from Borland)
>                 MemSize                     = 24
>                 SharedMemSize        = 2048

> GM 5.0 the same as above except for the following...

>                 MemSize                     = 32
>                 SharedMemSize        = 4096

> Seems GM 5 using the same BDE has higher memory allocation tolerances.

> > Run the BDE Admin programme,

> > Go to Configuration | System | INIT
> > set SHAREDMEMLOCATION to 7bde

> > We had the same problem for over a year before we found this setting and
> > have never had a problem since

> > > Since our original installation of Goldmine we noticed that Goldmine
had
> > > be started before any of our custom Delphi applications, Visual Dbase
7,
> > or
> > > varying versions of Crystal Reports 7.0.  Now the problems have become
> > > little more than just starting order.  We have a custom application
> where
> > we
> > > use a DDE link from Goldmine 4.0 (SQL Server 7.0) to paste Name,
Address
> &
> > > Phone information into a custom Seminar Scheduling system we have.
> > Suddenly
> > > two weeks ago the link quit working and now we can't even access our
> > > development environment to fix it because of the $210D error from BDE.
> > > Borland's tech files state that the error is a memory conflict.  Does
> > anyone
> > > else have this problem and do they know where to set the memory
starting
> > > point for non Goldmine applications?

-------
Doug

Re:Reports via ODBC via BDE on dBase...

Doug,

Fancy seeing you here! ;-)

We are a VAR in West LA and have had all sorts of problems with GoldMine and
Delphi / C applications sharing BDE, especially with the gm*s32.dll. (But
that's a bit off topic.)

I don't think the issus relates to memory usage or addressing so much as
file locking / sharing.  I've tried these settings, (and MANY others!) to no
avail, infact it makes zero difference.  One thing I've heard is that ODBC
(somehow) requires exclusive use when it initally access the tables.  This
is somewhat supported by the fact that if we open GoldMine after the report
has started to generate, the problem doesn't occur.  (However illogical that
is.)

(Seagate Software have been hammering this issue with me for some time also,
with nothing to show.)

Mike.

Other Threads