BP7 + Pentium III

Hi,

We have been using Borland Pascal 7 for several years now. The fastest PC
until now was a Pentium II 450 Mhz/100 Mhz FSB.

Now we have bought a Dell Inspiron 7500 (Pentium III 700Mhz/100 Mhz FSB) and
a Dell Optiplex GX200 (Pentium III 733/133 Mhz FSB)

It seems that BPC.EXE doesn't run on these PC's anymore.

When you run BPC from a MSDos-box it looks like BPC has run because the
cursor returns. But this isn't so because when you want to close the
MSDos-box you receive an error indicating that BPC is still running and you
can choose "wait" or "end task".

I have been looking in newsgroups to find some information. The only
information I can find is regarding the division by zero error when using
crt.pas. But until now nobody has reported problems with BPC.EXE

Is there a problem with the configuration of the PC ? Is this a known
problem ?

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Jan

Re:BP7 + Pentium III

>Now we have bought a Dell Inspiron 7500 (Pentium III 700Mhz/100 Mhz FSB)
and
>a Dell Optiplex GX200 (Pentium III 733/133 Mhz FSB)

That sounds horrible regarding my little Pentium 100 in front of me ;-))

>It seems that BPC.EXE doesn't run on these PC's anymore.

Yes, I believe...

>When you run BPC from a MSDos-box it looks like BPC has run because the
>cursor returns. But this isn't so because when you want to close the
>MSDos-box you receive an error indicating that BPC is still running and you
>can choose "wait" or "end task".

I've heard of such "overdrive"-problems, too. I've never seen a machine like
yours in real life, anyway: first of all -I don't know which OS you are
using- you should try to get BPC run under "real" DOS. I don't know which
windows-version you use, but normally, you just hold the F8-key before the
boot sequence starts, in order to stay in DOS environment. Maybe you should
also try it with an old Windows 95 boot disk containing DOS 7.0 or 7.1 and
your BPC.EXE, which I strongly recommend. You might have to try different
configurations (edit config.sys: disable all entries -- then try it with
himem.sys installed etc.).

If BPC runs under "real" DOS, the problem is not due to the tremendous speed
of your computers, but obviously to the operating system you use. If it does
not run, well.. hum.. it might have something to do with the bus speed of
those machines and don't think that a SloMo-driver could help..

I'm sorry about my very few hints I can give you, but as I saw your question
unreplied till now, I thought: okay, tell him that little information at
least, it's better than nothing..

Maybe it helps, I hope so!

Re:BP7 + Pentium III

JRS:  In article <tpXf5.118$iX.3...@nreader1.kpnqwest.net> of Thu, 27
Jul 2000 14:10:33 posted to news:alt.comp.pascal.borland-delphi,borland.
public.delphi.objectpascal,borland.public.turbopascal,comp.lang.pascal.b
orland, Jan Didden <jan.did...@vereycken.be> wrote:

>We have been using Borland Pascal 7 for several years now. The fastest PC
>until now was a Pentium II 450 Mhz/100 Mhz FSB.

>Now we have bought a Dell Inspiron 7500 (Pentium III 700Mhz/100 Mhz FSB) and
>a Dell Optiplex GX200 (Pentium III 733/133 Mhz FSB)

>It seems that BPC.EXE doesn't run on these PC's anymore.

Before posting to a newsgroup, you should read its guidelines and seek
its FAQ.  The news:borland.* newsgroups do not have FAQs in News, but
they have guidelines on the Borland Web site.

In particular :

(1) In using alt.comp.pascal.borland-delphi,borland.public.delphi.object
pascal,borland.public.turbopascal,comp.lang.pascal.borland, you have
posted a Pascal question to two Delphi newsgroups

(2) Cross-posting is heavily deprecated, by Borland, in news:borland.*

(3) Posts to news:borland.* that are not injected directly into Borland
servers generally do not reach the attention of Borland experts in
TeamB, because of the ludicrous distribution arrangements.

I have preserved the newsgroups line distribution order, so this should
be seen by you but not by those using the Borland server.  If you want
TeamB to see your question, re-post to b.p.t only, using the server at
forums.borland.com or newsgroups.borland.com

I don't recall anyone else mentioning this; if you re-post, I suggest
that you describe the OSes - Win 3/95/98/2000/NT/? DOS?