dde link with Excel?

I am currently writing a small app that I would like to Excel with DDE. I want
to grab some info from an Excel spreadsheet. So, Excel will be the DDE server,
and my Delphi app the DDE client.

If I make a small app with just a DDEClientConv, DDEClientItem, and an Edit
box, it works fine. The edit box responds to the onchange event, and reflects
changes made to the Excel spreadsheet cells.

If I try and add the same three componenets to an existing add, the
DDEClientItem.Text propery updates during design time, but refuses to update
the edit box during run time.

What gives? Am I missing something obvious or what? I haven't used DDE before,
but this seems pretty simple. Any suggestions on why it stops working when I
try and add it to an existing app?

Thanks in advance,
Dave Lehman
daveleh...@loewen.com

Re:dde link with Excel?

: davel...@loewen.com (Dave Lehman) wrote:

>I am currently writing a small app that I would like to Excel with DDE. I want
>to grab some info from an Excel spreadsheet. So, Excel will be the DDE server,
>and my Delphi app the DDE client.

>If I make a small app with just a DDEClientConv, DDEClientItem, and an Edit
>box, it works fine. The edit box responds to the onchange event, and reflects
>changes made to the Excel spreadsheet cells.

>If I try and add the same three componenets to an existing add, the
>DDEClientItem.Text propery updates during design time, but refuses to update
>the edit box during run time.

>What gives? Am I missing something obvious or what? I haven't used DDE before,
>but this seems pretty simple. Any suggestions on why it stops working when I
>try and add it to an existing app?

Save yourself some work and get T(Adv)Excel (aexcel.zip) from the
Delphi Super Page.

This is a fully featured DDE wrapper for Excel with the option of
HIGH-speed data transfer (1000 items in less than 150ms on a old
486 DX2 80).
--
Stefan.Hoffmeis...@Uni-Passau.de
http://kakadu.rz.uni-passau.de/~w4hoff01/