File or directory not found: c:\Del.db c:\Del.mb

Hello,

I have a problem with an application written in Delphi 4 with SQL Server 7 (SP2) databases. The application works apparently fine for a while, but at some moment (different every time) I receive an error.

"Acces denied.
File C:\Del1.MB
Table C:\Del1.MB
File or directory not found.
File: C:\Del1.DB"

After that, I can not use the application any more. I receive only messages like this one, but the number in the file name is incremented every time (Del2, Del3, Del4...). I must restart the computer in order to be able to work again.

Can anyone tell me why is that happening and why all works fine for a while?

Thank you in advance
George

Re:File or directory not found: c:\Del.db c:\Del.mb

"George Tabacaru" <gt_c...@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

> Hello,

> I have a problem with an application written in Delphi 4 with SQL Server 7

(SP2) databases. The application works apparently fine for a while, but at
some moment (different every time) I receive an error.

> "Acces denied.
> File C:\Del1.MB
> Table C:\Del1.MB
> File or directory not found.
> File: C:\Del1.DB"

...That means Windows is looking in the wrong diretory for the tables. This
is a well known errormessage when using SQL's.
One of the things to do is setting an alias to the directory where the
tables are located. Then set the database property of your SQL-component to
this alias.

Another thing to do is changing the current directory of Windows to that of
your application (if that's where the datafiles reside).

From the top of my head:

IF NOT SetCurrentDir(ExtractFilePath(paramstr(0))) THEN ShowMessage( 'Error
while changing directory');

FOR changing to the directory wich resides your EXE.

Hope it helps you
Ron

Re:File or directory not found: c:\Del.db c:\Del.mb

Thank you for the response!

But I suppose that the error has a different cause. In fact, I
don't use local data files. All datas are in SQL Server
databases.
I think it's something about the default BDE driver (Paradox)
and the temporary files that Delphi creates. Del1.DB, Del2.DB,
Del3.DB etc are not tables in my application.
I mention that for connecting to SQL databases, I use ODBC
aliases (DSN).

Can you or somebody else help me?

Thanks,
George

"Ron Tuynman" <rjtuijn...@tip.nl> wrote:
>"George Tabacaru" <gt_c...@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

>> Hello,

>> I have a problem with an application written in Delphi 4 with SQL Server 7
>(SP2) databases. The application works apparently fine for a while, but at
>some moment (different every time) I receive an error.

>> "Acces denied.
>> File C:\Del1.MB
>> Table C:\Del1.MB
>> File or directory not found.
>> File: C:\Del1.DB"

>....That means Windows is looking in the wrong diretory for the tables. This
>is a well known errormessage when using SQL's.
>One of the things to do is setting an alias to the directory where the
>tables are located. Then set the database property of your SQL-component to
>this alias.

>Another thing to do is changing the current directory of Windows to that of
>your application (if that's where the datafiles reside).

>From the top of my head:

>IF NOT SetCurrentDir(ExtractFilePath(paramstr(0))) THEN ShowMessage( 'Error
>while changing directory');

>FOR changing to the directory wich resides your EXE.

>Hope it helps you
>Ron

Re:File or directory not found: c:\Del.db c:\Del.mb

Are you running out of disk space or using a virtual (network) c: drive?

Eric

Re:File or directory not found: c:\Del.db c:\Del.mb

Disk space is ok.
C: drive is not network drive.
I could say that this is a NT rights problem, but why doesn't happend all the time. Rights remains unchanged.
Eduard

"Eric Hill" <e...@ijack.net> wrote:
>Are you running out of disk space or using a virtual (network) c: drive?

>Eric

Re:File or directory not found: c:\Del.db c:\Del.mb

George,

  We ran into the same thing.  Our network admin denied write access to the
root of C for all the "normal" users (managers, VPs, etc had no problems
running apps).  Your using CachedUpdates, so the BDE will need read/write
access to the drive/folder where it caches the data (CachedUpdates uses
Paradox tables to cache data)
or..

Good luck,
krf

"George tabacaru" <gt_c...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Can you or somebody else help me?

Re:File or directory not found: c:\Del.db c:\Del.mb

Thank you, Kevin.

That really helps.

George

"Kevin Frevert" <kfrevert@shootthespammerscom> wrote:
>George,

>  We ran into the same thing.  Our network admin denied write access to the
>root of C for all the "normal" users (managers, VPs, etc had no problems
>running apps).  Your using CachedUpdates, so the BDE will need read/write
>access to the drive/folder where it caches the data (CachedUpdates uses
>Paradox tables to cache data)
>or..
>http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,22571,00.html

>Good luck,