Unknown database, can't connect!

Help!

One of our sites cannot open or connect to the database.  Whether trying to
connect using the BDE, our app, or the IBConsole, the error message "Unknown
database, unable to connect" comes up.  They insist nothing has changed
since yesterday, that they only rebooted the server.  I don't know if that's
true or not, but could it have caused this?  What else can cause this?

More importantly, how do they fix this?  The isc4.gdb file is still where it
should be.  They're going to restore that file from backup, but if that
doesn't work, what will?

If they do a new install of interbase, and then re-register the database,
will that work?

Thanks,
Spencer

Re:Unknown database, can't connect!

1. Do you can ping the server machine ?
2. Can you connect in local mode ?
3. In witch OS is IB running ? If is Win NT or 2K may be the service isn't
started (I guess it was started manually last time).

--
Sergio Samayoa
Lgica Software

Re:Unknown database, can't connect!

It's running in Win2K, and the service is running when checked from the IB
Service Manager.  Should we not believe that and check using the task
manager as well?

And it doesn't matter if they can ping the server, they're trying to log in
using the server, therefore no network problems or issues.

And I don't know what local mode is.  Do you mean from the server, or is it
something else?

Thanks

"Sergio Samayoa" <serg...@terra.com.gt> wrote in message

> 1. Do you can ping the server machine ?
> 2. Can you connect in local mode ?
> 3. In witch OS is IB running ? If is Win NT or 2K may be the service isn't
> started (I guess it was started manually last time).

> --
> Sergio Samayoa
> Lgica Software
> http://www.geocities.com/logicasw/

Re:Unknown database, can't connect!

> It's running in Win2K, and the service is running when checked from the IB
> Service Manager.  Should we not believe that and check using the task
> manager as well?

Not, isn't necesary

> And it doesn't matter if they can ping the server, they're trying to log
in
> using the server, therefore no network problems or issues.

But they can ?

> And I don't know what local mode is.  Do you mean from the server

Yes.

Tell us what is your connection string. May be protocol configuration was
changed since yesterday. Do you have any DNS server on the network or some
DNS software on Win2K ? Are you connection with TCP/IP ? NetBEUI ?

--
Sergio Samayoa
Lgica Software
http://www.geocities.com/logicasw/

Re:Unknown database, can't connect!

Well, we got it solved, but not in a nice way.  Our site did a reinstall of
interbase and that fixed it, so I'm not sure what was wrong.  It certainly
could be that they had changed some setting, but now we'll never know.

Thanks anyway.

Spencer Semkowich wrote:

> Well, we got it solved, but not in a nice way.  Our site did a reinstall of
> interbase and that fixed it, so I'm not sure what was wrong.  It certainly
> could be that they had changed some setting, but now we'll never know.

Maybe the services file had been corrupted.

Regards,
Aage J.

Re:Unknown database, can't connect!

I agree with you.