LFN in TPW 1.5 - is that possible?

Is it possible to convert between 8.3 and LFN names on Win2k in TPW 1.5? Is
there a DLL function that does this (I do not mean executing command.com /c
dir <Name> and checking the output, because this is _really_ slow)?

And is it possible to load icon resources from 32bit programs?

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -- prints all files of current dir.
open H,"|a2ps -1R";for(sort<*>){print H"$_:\n";open

Re:LFN in TPW 1.5 - is that possible?

In article <slrn9gkp2j.2du.e...@www42.t-offline.de>, Rudolf Polzer wrote:
> Is it possible to convert between 8.3 and LFN names on Win2k in TPW 1.5? Is
> there a DLL function that does this (I do not mean executing command.com /c
> dir <Name> and checking the output, because this is _really_ slow)?

Can you access Dos interrupts or Win32Api calls from TPW 1.5?

If so, there are possibilities.

Marco van de Voort <mar...@toad.stack.nl> wrote:

> In article <slrn9gkp2j.2du.e...@www42.t-offline.de>, Rudolf Polzer wrote:
> > Is it possible to convert between 8.3 and LFN names on Win2k in TPW 1.5? Is
> > there a DLL function that does this (I do not mean executing command.com /c
> > dir <Name> and checking the output, because this is _really_ slow)?

> Can you access Dos interrupts or Win32Api calls from TPW 1.5?

> If so, there are possibilities.

Yes, but not the LFN interrupts do not exist in Win2k.

--
To view the lower part of this signature, apply ROT13 to the whole message.
Gb ivrj gur hccre cneg bs guvf fvtangher, nccyl EBG13 gb gur jubyr zrffntr.

In article <slrn9gnuhb.21n.e...@www42.t-offline.de>, Rudolf Polzer wrote:
> Marco van de Voort <mar...@toad.stack.nl> wrote:
>> In article <slrn9gkp2j.2du.e...@www42.t-offline.de>, Rudolf Polzer wrote:
>> > Is it possible to convert between 8.3 and LFN names on Win2k in TPW 1.5? Is
>> > there a DLL function that does this (I do not mean executing command.com /c
>> > dir <Name> and checking the output, because this is _really_ slow)?

>> Can you access Dos interrupts or Win32Api calls from TPW 1.5?

>> If so, there are possibilities.

> Yes, but not the LFN interrupts do not exist in Win2k.

Afaik, they do in Win2k, but not in NT.

"Marco van de Voort" <mar...@toad.stack.nl> wrote in message

> In article <slrn9gnuhb.21n.e...@www42.t-offline.de>, Rudolf Polzer
wrote:
> > Marco van de Voort <mar...@toad.stack.nl> wrote:

> >> Can you access Dos interrupts or Win32Api calls from TPW 1.5?

> >> If so, there are possibilities.

> > Yes, but not the LFN interrupts do not exist in Win2k.

> Afaik, they do in Win2k, but not in NT.

I have no idea about the interrupts, but work has recently 'upgraded' from
NT 4.0 to 2000. Under NT I used LFN all the time through cmd.exe; in 2000
the default command interpreter is command.com which does not recognise
LFN. However cmd.exe is still present and does recognise LFN. So I suppose
there must be some method of getting them...

--
The Scarlet Manuka

In article <9ehvsi$vr...@fang.dsto.defence.gov.au>, The Scarlet Manuka wrote:
> "Marco van de Voort" <mar...@toad.stack.nl> wrote in message
>> In article <slrn9gnuhb.21n.e...@www42.t-offline.de>, Rudolf Polzer
> wrote:
> 1.5? Is
> command.com /c

>> > Yes, but not the LFN interrupts do not exist in Win2k.

>> Afaik, they do in Win2k, but not in NT.

> I have no idea about the interrupts, but work has recently 'upgraded' from
> NT 4.0 to 2000. Under NT I used LFN all the time through cmd.exe; in 2000
> the default command interpreter is command.com which does not recognise
> LFN. However cmd.exe is still present and does recognise LFN. So I suppose
> there must be some method of getting them...

Hmm. Here the default is a cmd.exe, and I installed it myself Are you sure
that they didn't just make command.com default because of some legacy
dos application?

wrote:

> > I have no idea about the interrupts, but work has recently 'upgraded'
from
> > NT 4.0 to 2000. Under NT I used LFN all the time through cmd.exe; in
2000
> > the default command interpreter is command.com which does not
recognise
> > LFN. However cmd.exe is still present and does recognise LFN. So I
suppose
> > there must be some method of getting them...
> Hmm. Here the default is a cmd.exe, and I installed it myself Are you
sure
> that they didn't just make command.com default because of some legacy
> dos application?

Yes; we don't have any DOS apps installed by default. The ones I've been
working with I had to back up and reinstall myself. And I expect they'd
work with cmd.exe also, although I haven't tested this.

I think your experience indicates that it probably is an installation
thing, and somehow the image the guys here made for Win2K upgrading
had command.com as the default - given the vagaries of Windows installs,
I find this a perfectly acceptable explanation!

--
The Scarlet Manuka

In article <9eila2$3h...@fang.dsto.defence.gov.au>, The Scarlet Manuka wrote:
> I think your experience indicates that it probably is an installation
> thing, and somehow the image the guys here made for Win2K upgrading
> had command.com as the default - given the vagaries of Windows installs,
> I find this a perfectly acceptable explanation!

Hmm, I'm glad that as an assistant sysadmin, and are allowed to do my own
installs :-)

wrote:

> > I think your experience indicates that it probably is an installation
> > thing, and somehow the image the guys here made for Win2K upgrading
> > had command.com as the default - given the vagaries of Windows
installs,
> > I find this a perfectly acceptable explanation!

> Hmm, I'm glad that as an assistant sysadmin, and are allowed to do my
own
> installs :-)

Things are pretty informal here. We have two guys who are our formal
support, but we also have a fileserver called "cdimages"... (note:
the stuff on that is all site-licensed, in case you were wondering!)

I've certainly installed or reinstalled plenty of stuff on my machine,
including a reinstall of NT at one stage. But doing the upgrade with a
prepared image (already had Win2K and Office 2K, all more or less
nicely configured and ready to go) is obviously much faster than
installing everything manually. And I'm not going to bother reinstalling
Win2K until I have more of a reason than "making cmd.exe the default
instead of command.com". I can always run cmd.exe myself.

--
The Scarlet Manuka

Re:LFN in TPW 1.5 - is that possible?

On Tue, 22 May 2001 15:06:28 +0200, e...@durchnull.de (Rudolf Polzer)
wrote:

>Is it possible to convert between 8.3 and LFN names on Win2k in TPW 1.5? Is
>there a DLL function that does this (I do not mean executing command.com /c
>dir <Name> and checking the output, because this is _really_ slow)?

Get the TPW32 package from my web page
(http://www.bigfoot.com/~african_chief/tpw32_20.zip).

Best regards, The Chief
Prof. A{*word*73}la Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)
(Author of Chief's Installer Pro for Win32)
  Email: african_ch...@bigfoot.com
  Web: http://www.bigfoot.com/~african_chief/

Other Threads