16bit BDE problem

Problem:
we want to run two seperate 16bit delphi applications on one PC, but both of
them should use another IDAPI.CFG.
Is this possible??
I tried to use the BDE-function DBIInit in order to change the default
IDAPI.CFG directory/file, but this wouldn't work, the function returned the
following error message: 'Could not initialize another configuration file').
Thomas Phlips
CDS-NV
thomas.phl...@cds-nv.be

Re:16bit BDE problem

Try to copy the IDAPI.CFG to you applications director so you get two
versions. Change the values in the file in the application directory.
f your path in autoexec.bat start with ". \" or if ".\" comes before the
BDE path I think the your applications looks for the local IDAPI.CFG file

As I said I haven't tried it but I think its worth a shoot.

CDS personal account skrev i meddelandet
<69o883$8t...@news3.Belgium.EU.net>...

>Problem:
>we want to run two seperate 16bit delphi applications on one PC, but both
of
>them should use another IDAPI.CFG.
>Is this possible??
>I tried to use the BDE-function DBIInit in order to change the default
>IDAPI.CFG directory/file, but this wouldn't work, the function returned the
>following error message: 'Could not initialize another configuration
file').
>Thomas Phlips
>CDS-NV
>thomas.phl...@cds-nv.be

Re:16bit BDE problem

Re:16bit BDE problem

I wonder, what kind is the situation that you should need two different
IDAPI.CFG files. I always try to make my apps so independent about the
whole .CFG file as possible. This means, I put much of the Idapi
settings
in to my own code.
  Look this link to see how you can try this approach also. Works with
D1,D2,D3
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/bdeapiex/dbiopencfginfolist.html

Markku Nevalainen

CDS personal account wrote:

> Problem:
> we want to run two seperate 16bit delphi applications on one PC, but both of
> them should use another IDAPI.CFG.
> Is this possible??
> I tried to use the BDE-function DBIInit in order to change the default
> IDAPI.CFG directory/file, but this wouldn't work, the function returned the
> following error message: 'Could not initialize another configuration file').
> Thomas Phlips
> CDS-NV
> thomas.phl...@cds-nv.be

Re:16bit BDE problem

We would like to use two different .CFG files on one PC, because one of the
applications that is using the BDE is not developed by us but the other one
is. Both applications have to be able to run simultaneously and independent
of each other.

Thomas Phlips
CDS-NV Belgium
Thomas.Phl...@cds-nv.be

Markku Nevalainen wrote in message <34BFEBD4.4...@netlife.fi>...
>I wonder, what kind is the situation that you should need two different
>IDAPI.CFG files. I always try to make my apps so independent about the
>whole .CFG file as possible. This means, I put much of the Idapi
>settings
>in to my own code.
>  Look this link to see how you can try this approach also. Works with
>D1,D2,D3
>http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/bdeapiex/dbiopencfginfolist.html

>Markku Nevalainen

>CDS personal account wrote:

>> Problem:
>> we want to run two seperate 16bit delphi applications on one PC, but both
of
>> them should use another IDAPI.CFG.
>> Is this possible??
>> I tried to use the BDE-function DBIInit in order to change the default
>> IDAPI.CFG directory/file, but this wouldn't work, the function returned
the
>> following error message: 'Could not initialize another configuration
file').
>> Thomas Phlips
>> CDS-NV
>> thomas.phl...@cds-nv.be

Re:16bit BDE problem

development-...@pophost.eunet.be (CDS personal account)  wrote

> We would like to use two different .CFG files on one PC, because one of the
> applications that is using the BDE is not developed by us but the other one
> is. Both applications have to be able to run simultaneously and independent
> of each other.

Why shouldn't applications be able to use the same .CFG and run
simultanously. You need of course a setup tool which is able to configure
an existing .CFG so that previously installed apps are not concerned by
your install. Don't even think of another way. We are concerned
unfortunately with apps which copy their own CFG at install time or even
worse each time at program start-up.

Best Regards

Michael
--