'XML' field -- Thoughts and opinions sought

Our data fits into a small set of required, searchable fields per client and
then a set of fields that may or may not be included, but which are ALWAYS
paired with a long text memo field.

We're considering the structure as a series of normal fields with a BLOB of
an XML document to include the text and client specific fields.  Any
thoughts?

I realize that we'd be giving up fast search, (other than limited FTS if
available ), on the XML field, and may have to write a UDF that offers
minimal XML data element extraction, but it still seems it might be a nice
way to go.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone doing this already?

Thoughts on implementing this via SQL-2K vs. IB6?  (We are a 24x7 shop with
moderate data needs, but an inability to be anything BUT mission critical.)

Thanks!

Mike

Re:'XML' field -- Thoughts and opinions sought

Unpublished wrote:

> We're considering the structure as a series of normal fields with a BLOB of
> an XML document to include the text and client specific fields.  Any
> thoughts?

        Perhaps it would be easier to judge if I knew what you hope to gain via
the XML approach.  As it is, I can see a lot you'll be giving up.  Not
only fast searches, but the ability to easily manipulate the data in
stored procs, the ability to join data with SQL, and so on.

> Thoughts on implementing this via SQL-2K vs. IB6?  (We are a 24x7 shop with
> moderate data needs, but an inability to be anything BUT mission critical.)

        Here's a good starting point for 24*7 operation in IB:

http://www.interbase2000.org/doc_calford_1.htm

        HTH,

        -Craig

Re:'XML' field -- Thoughts and opinions sought

In article <3acb9299_1@dnews>, "Unpublished" <test at hotmail dot com>
says...

> We're considering the structure as a series of normal fields with a BLOB of
> an XML document to include the text and client specific fields.  Any
> thoughts?

I agree with Craig's comments.  You are giving up some things by going to
XML.  What do you see as the advantages?

Do you intend to export the XML to another application? If so, then maybe
that would be the time to convert the field-based data to XML.  If the
data will never be shared externally to this application, I don't really
see the need to store it as XML.

John

John Senior wrote:

> Do you intend to export the XML to another application? If so, then maybe
> that would be the time to convert the field-based data to XML.

        ...which is *really* easy to do with a TDatasetProvider and a
TClientDataset.

        -Craig

Re:'XML' field -- Thoughts and opinions sought

Craig,

The data I'm looking at coding into the XML are continually evolving fields
that are used to create a legal document template.  While all the data
entered into the fields is present in the template, the fields are kept as
an "FYI" on how the document was built.

While all our static fields will be certainly put into a traditional schema,
I'm looking at the XML to:
* Allow an evolving set of field elements to be supported (and reduce DBA
usage)
* "bind" the dynamic data to the generated text for transport purposes
* While the document is rarely edited, it's critical to keep a history of
all changes, including the transient data.

BTW, good thoughts guys, appreciate the discussion.

"Craig Stuntz (TeamB)" <cstuntz@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com> wrote in message

> Unpublished wrote:

> > We're considering the structure as a series of normal fields with a BLOB
of
> > an XML document to include the text and client specific fields.  Any
> > thoughts?

> Perhaps it would be easier to judge if I knew what you hope to gain via
> the XML approach.  As it is, I can see a lot you'll be giving up.  Not
> only fast searches, but the ability to easily manipulate the data in
> stored procs, the ability to join data with SQL, and so on.

> > Thoughts on implementing this via SQL-2K vs. IB6?  (We are a 24x7 shop
with
> > moderate data needs, but an inability to be anything BUT mission
critical.)

> Here's a good starting point for 24*7 operation in IB:

> http://www.interbase2000.org/doc_calford_1.htm

> HTH,

> -Craig

> --
> Craig Stuntz (TeamB)       Senior Developer, Vertex Systems Corp.
> Delphi/InterBase weblog:   http://delphi.weblogs.com
> Use Borland servers; posts via others are not seen by TeamB.
> For more info, see http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/genl_faqs.html

Other Threads