Board index » delphi » windows 2000 Pro as a server?

windows 2000 Pro as a server?

Hi all,

I have a development database that was running on a windows 95
workstation while we're developing. Today I "upgraded" that station to
windows 2000 professional, and now we cannot remote login to the
database!

I can Ping the server from remote stations; everything seems to be the
same. Using WISQL, I can login to the database locally, but not as a
remote database, even from the workstation hosting interbase.
Any ideas? Is this a function of windows 2000? ... or my stupidity?

ed

 

Re:windows 2000 Pro as a server?


Something stupid?
Like incorrect settings in bde alias, like wrong username or server name?
I dont recall what WISQL is, but I suspect it is non-BDE solution, but
surely it has equivalent settings?

More stupid things:
- in order to access database server, client workstation must first pass
OS-based security, so maybe you have problem with win2000 permissions.
- client licences?
Anyway, if you solve your problem, tell us about how win2000 performs and is
there any troubles.

Re:windows 2000 Pro as a server?


Quote
Ed Malloy wrote:

> I have a development database that was running on a windows 95
> workstation while we're developing. Today I "upgraded" that station to
> windows 2000 professional, and now we cannot remote login to the
> database!

        When you say, "we cannot remote login to the database!" what do you
mean?  Do you see an error message?  If so, what is the exact text of
the error message?  My ESP isn't working this morning...

Quote
> I can Ping the server from remote stations; everything seems to be the
> same. Using WISQL, I can login to the database locally, but not as a
> remote database, even from the workstation hosting interbase.

> Any ideas? Is this a function of windows 2000? ... or my stupidity?

        There are several things which could cause this problem.  I advise
running Interbase Communication diagnostics from the machine which is
your InterBase server.  If you can connect locally from this machine but
not via the network (a loopback) then it is likely that you haven't used
a license which supports remote access (in other words, you are using a
local InterBase license).  Other possibilities include a firewall
blocking port 3050 or an incorrect entry in your ports file.

        -Craig

--
Craig Stuntz            Vertex Systems Corporation
Senior Developer        http://www.vertexsoftware.com

Re:windows 2000 Pro as a server?


Maybe an incorrect entry in your services file (if W2K has one).

Should contain:

gds_db           3050/tcp

Ralph.

Craig Stuntz <cstuntz@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
38CE5427.ACD9B2B0@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com...

Quote
> Ed Malloy wrote:

> > I have a development database that was running on a windows 95
> > workstation while we're developing. Today I "upgraded" that station to
> > windows 2000 professional, and now we cannot remote login to the
> > database!

> When you say, "we cannot remote login to the database!" what do you
> mean?  Do you see an error message?  If so, what is the exact text of
> the error message?  My ESP isn't working this morning...

> > I can Ping the server from remote stations; everything seems to be the
> > same. Using WISQL, I can login to the database locally, but not as a
> > remote database, even from the workstation hosting interbase.

> > Any ideas? Is this a function of windows 2000? ... or my stupidity?

> There are several things which could cause this problem.  I advise
> running Interbase Communication diagnostics from the machine which is
> your InterBase server.  If you can connect locally from this machine but
> not via the network (a loopback) then it is likely that you haven't used
> a license which supports remote access (in other words, you are using a
> local InterBase license).  Other possibilities include a firewall
> blocking port 3050 or an incorrect entry in your ports file.

> -Craig

> --
> Craig Stuntz Vertex Systems Corporation
> Senior Developer http://www.vertexsoftware.com

Re:windows 2000 Pro as a server?


Quote
Ed Malloy wrote:
> Hi all,

> I have a development database that was running on a windows 95
> workstation while we're developing. Today I "upgraded" that station to
> windows 2000 professional, and now we cannot remote login to the
> database!

Are there user id's setup for each user on the Win2K box? Can the users
see shared directories, etc. on the Win2K box?

Quote

> I can Ping the server from remote stations; everything seems to be the
> same. Using WISQL, I can login to the database locally, but not as a
> remote database, even from the workstation hosting interbase.

This is interesting...

Quote

> Any ideas? Is this a function of windows 2000? ... or my stupidity?

> ed

Personally, I would guess the former.

Chris.

Re:windows 2000 Pro as a server?


Thanks Ralph,

Yes, that's there, ok.

ed

Quote
Ralph Maas wrote:

> Maybe an incorrect entry in your services file (if W2K has one).

> Should contain:

> gds_db           3050/tcp

> Ralph.

> Craig Stuntz <cstuntz@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
> 38CE5427.ACD9B2B0@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com...
> > Ed Malloy wrote:

> > > I have a development database that was running on a windows 95
> > > workstation while we're developing. Today I "upgraded" that station to
> > > windows 2000 professional, and now we cannot remote login to the
> > > database!

> > When you say, "we cannot remote login to the database!" what do you
> > mean?  Do you see an error message?  If so, what is the exact text of
> > the error message?  My ESP isn't working this morning...

> > > I can Ping the server from remote stations; everything seems to be the
> > > same. Using WISQL, I can login to the database locally, but not as a
> > > remote database, even from the workstation hosting interbase.

> > > Any ideas? Is this a function of windows 2000? ... or my stupidity?

> > There are several things which could cause this problem.  I advise
> > running Interbase Communication diagnostics from the machine which is
> > your InterBase server.  If you can connect locally from this machine but
> > not via the network (a loopback) then it is likely that you haven't used
> > a license which supports remote access (in other words, you are using a
> > local InterBase license).  Other possibilities include a firewall
> > blocking port 3050 or an incorrect entry in your ports file.

> > -Craig

> > --
> > Craig Stuntz Vertex Systems Corporation
> > Senior Developer http://www.vertexsoftware.com

--

Edward V. Malloy
BBL Leasing, Inc.

Other Threads