serial port software

I need source code to handle 5 serial ports.  Both read and write access.
A terminal box is being used to input numbers and the number will be echoed
back with text.

I looked on a number of sites and havent' found the right thing.

Any direction would be welcome.

Darryl

Re:serial port software

"Darryl" <dshol...@morris.com> wrote in message

> I need source code to handle 5 serial ports.
> Darryl

Hi,

In the past, I wrote some programs for multiple serial ports.
Remember that is is a pain to access more than two standard ports, as you
will be short of IRQ's.
Look into special hardware such as multiport cards (they come with drivers
you can access) or
portselectors. I used a Black Box COS (code operated switch) that could be
run from a
standard serial port by first selecting the port you want to access with a
special code. They were
available in 4 and 8 port versions. Look at www.blackbox.com
For software, I used Asynch Pro from Turbo Power software. It is still
available.
Look at www.turbopower.com
However, many free or shareware solutions are available.

regards, Matt

Re:serial port software

You may want to download the SWAG archives from www.gdsoft.com or look
at simtel: www.simtel.net

They should have serial routines.

Greetings

Markus

Re:serial port software

"Darryl" <dshol...@morris.com> schreef in bericht

> I need source code to handle 5 serial ports.  Both read and write
access.
> A terminal box is being used to input numbers and the number will be
echoed
> back with text.

> I looked on a number of sites and havent' found the right thing.

> Any direction would be welcome.

> Darryl

You did not tell us what kind of additional harware is installed on your
computer to support 5 com ports.
Further, I told you already, what you need is
comm_tp5.zip
containing the unit comm_tp4.pas
http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone24/cat298/4022.htm
It supports an unlimited number of pors, but the problem is (since this
is a group for Borland Turbo Pascal), the original DOS
operating system supported only 4 com ports. And they were sharing
interrupts, so they will have trouble when operated simultaneously. For
the fifth port you'll
have to find out how this is configured in the operating system that you
are using.

this one and other procedures can be found at
http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone24/cat298/index.htm

pclp42.zip supports up to 16  com ports, and supports some
digiboards, but it is not freeware and did not work as reliable as
comm_tp4.

--
Femme

Re:serial port software

Darryl schrieb:

> I need source code to handle 5 serial ports.  Both read and write access.
> A terminal box is being used to input numbers and the number will be echoed
> back with text.

> I looked on a number of sites and havent' found the right thing.

> Any direction would be welcome.

http://www.thetcl.com/live/serialcomm.htm

This is the company that has supplied me since many years with good
products and the necessary software.

They have intelligent cards, that means that they have an on board
CPU which runs the ports automatically and buffer the data on dual
port RAM with high speed with little load on the PC mainboard.

Regards,
--
Franz Glaser MEG   Glasau 3  A-4191 Vorderweissenbach
http://www.meg-glaser.com    +43-7219-7035-0  Fax: -4

Re:serial port software

Group:
Thanks for the responses.  A few more notes - I will be using a hardware
device that can mimic 8 serial ports.  My thinking was to use a multip-comm
port program (such as comm4) with the 5 ports i will be needing.
FYI:  the original hardware is still be used - IBM PC/AT 8mhz - all
original!!  with assembler code;  it is only used once a year for a week and
never been bothered to upgraded

"Darryl" <dshol...@morris.com> wrote in message

> I need source code to handle 5 serial ports.  Both read and write access.
> A terminal box is being used to input numbers and the number will be
echoed
> back with text.

> I looked on a number of sites and havent' found the right thing.

> Any direction would be welcome.

> Darryl

Re:serial port software

We will be using a 8 port serial device (however it will use the EIA 422
protocol due to distance limitation of the RS232).  The device sets com
ports from 1 to 99.   I was hoping to take a freeware (or shareware)
multip-port software such as comm_tp4 and utilize it with this hardware.  I
will look at the software that came with the hardware and see if there is a
API.  That would be sweet.

I will also look up the Black Box device you mentioned.  You say it has an
api that works with Turbo Pascal 5.5 or 6?

Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Darryl

> I will also look up the Black Box device you mentioned.  You say it has an
> api that works with Turbo Pascal 5.5 or 6?

These portselectors react to data in the stream from the master port. You
cantherefore use them with any program that can send data to a standard
serial port.
To avoid changing channels when not appropriate, some tricks are used:
for instance:
- An escape sequence is used to change channels. This is only usable when
this sequence is never present in the actual data. If you send only text to
the devices,
the portselector can use the lower ASCII characters as an escape sequence.
My device used #16 #23 to select the first port, #16 #24 for the second,
etc.
- The sequence to change channels has to be sent with a different baudrate.
- The sequence to change channels requires a pause after a specific
character.
Different models I have seen used these different techniques.

There might of course also be a problem with this approach when the data
transfer is not initiated by the master port. In my case, all data was
requested by the PC, so there was no problem with polling the devices.

regards, Matt

Re:serial port software

Today we purchased the 'code operated switch' (COS) in EIA-422 flavor from
BlackBox for testing.

5 numeric keypads will be connected to the the 5 ports of the COS.  It is my
hope that the COS will buffer the input from these five boxes until we can
read the data (input values are 4 digits max with a 2.5 minute wait before
the next score is input).  However, all 5 scores are input in a 5-20 second
time frame.

Does this seem to be in the operational scope of the COS?

Got any code you would like to share?  :)

Thanks for the great advice that I took you up on!

Darryl
Augusta Ga

> "Darryl" <dshol...@morris.com> wrote in message

> > I will also look up the Black Box device you mentioned.  You say it has
an
> > api that works with Turbo Pascal 5.5 or 6?

> These portselectors react to data in the stream from the master port. You
> cantherefore use them with any program that can send data to a standard
> serial port.
> To avoid changing channels when not appropriate, some tricks are used:
> for instance:
> - An escape sequence is used to change channels. This is only usable when
> this sequence is never present in the actual data. If you send only text
> the devices,
> the portselector can use the lower ASCII characters as an escape sequence.
> My device used #16 #23 to select the first port, #16 #24 for the second,
> etc.
> - The sequence to change channels has to be sent with a different
baudrate.
> - The sequence to change channels requires a pause after a specific
> character.
> Different models I have seen used these different techniques.

> There might of course also be a problem with this approach when the data
> transfer is not initiated by the master port. In my case, all data was
> requested by the PC, so there was no problem with polling the devices.

> regards, Matt

Re:serial port software

Some ppl have emailed me concerning the code operated switch.  The COS does
not buffer data coming into the device.  Therefore if you have not selected
a port that is receiving input the data is lost if the input device does not
do flow control.

> Today we purchased the 'code operated switch' (COS) in EIA-422 flavor from
> BlackBox for testing.

> 5 numeric keypads will be connected to the the 5 ports of the COS.  It is
my
> hope that the COS will buffer the input from these five boxes until we can
> read the data (input values are 4 digits max with a 2.5 minute wait before
> the next score is input).  However, all 5 scores are input in a 5-20
second
> time frame.

> Does this seem to be in the operational scope of the COS?

> Got any code you would like to share?  :)

> Thanks for the great advice that I took you up on!

> Darryl
> Augusta Ga

> "Matt Claessen" <NoS...@avantes.com> wrote in message

> > "Darryl" <dshol...@morris.com> wrote in message

> > > I will also look up the Black Box device you mentioned.  You say it
has
> an
> > > api that works with Turbo Pascal 5.5 or 6?

> > These portselectors react to data in the stream from the master port.
You
> > cantherefore use them with any program that can send data to a standard
> > serial port.
> > To avoid changing channels when not appropriate, some tricks are used:
> > for instance:
> > - An escape sequence is used to change channels. This is only usable
when
> > this sequence is never present in the actual data. If you send only text
> > the devices,
> > the portselector can use the lower ASCII characters as an escape
sequence.
> > My device used #16 #23 to select the first port, #16 #24 for the second,
> > etc.
> > - The sequence to change channels has to be sent with a different
> baudrate.
> > - The sequence to change channels requires a pause after a specific
> > character.
> > Different models I have seen used these different techniques.

> > There might of course also be a problem with this approach when the data
> > transfer is not initiated by the master port. In my case, all data was
> > requested by the PC, so there was no problem with polling the devices.

> > regards, Matt

Other Threads