User DSN, System DSN or File DSN ?

Evandro Clayton Braga wrote:

> Hello everyBody.

>         When I'm creating a new SQL-Server Alias at BDE I have to set
> ODBC DSN. Consequently I have to create, before, "something DSN" at my
> ODBC. What is these "something" ??? User DSN, System DSN or File DSN ???

DSN stands for "Data Source Name."  A DSN is a named set of settings to
connect to a database using ODBC (or ADO).  DSNs can be created using
the ODBC control panel.  User DSNs are DSNs that are available only
to the user logged into the workstation.  System DSNs are DSNs that
every user on a workstation have access to. (System DSNs are a mute
point on Windows 95, since it is not really a multi-user operating
system.)  User and System DSNs are stored in the registry.  File DSNs
are portable versions of DSNs.  Instead of being stored in the
registry, each File DSN is contained in its own file.  While the
appropriate ODBC/ADO drivers need to be installed in order to use
File DSNs, File DSNs allow you to quickly move connection settings from
one machine to another.

The BDE can use DSNs by creating Aliases that use the connection
information contained in the DSNs to connect to the database using
ODBC.  If you set the AutoODBC system setting in the BDE, aliases are
created automatically each time you create a DSN.

Hope that helps, and someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Al Cantu

> What is it the difference between then ???

> []s,

> --
> Evandro Clayton Braga
> Analista e programador de sistemas computacionais
> (031) 9977-6881
> zo...@gold.com.br
> chacal...@usa.net

Re:User DSN, System DSN or File DSN ?

Al Cantu wrote in message <369C1032.7...@worldnet.att.net>...
>File DSNs are portable versions of DSNs.  Instead of being stored in the
>registry, each File DSN is contained in its own file.

That sounds like an easy way of installing DSN configurations on a user's
machine during application installation time.  How does one tell the system
that the new file-dsn-file is there ?  Is there a special folder and
file-extension ?

Johannes

Johannes Eggers wrote:

> Al Cantu wrote in message <369C1032.7...@worldnet.att.net>...

> >File DSNs are portable versions of DSNs.  Instead of being stored in the
> >registry, each File DSN is contained in its own file.

> That sounds like an easy way of installing DSN configurations on a user's
> machine during application installation time.  How does one tell the system
> that the new file-dsn-file is there ?  Is there a special folder and
> file-extension ?

> Johannes

I am not entirely sure about this, because FILE DSNs are still
relatively new, but...

If you are using ADO, you pass "FILE=\path\filename.dsn" instead of
"DSN=DataSourceName" as part of your CommandString.  I do not know if
BDE 5.01 supports File DSNs.  I know that they do support User and
System DSNs.  If you want to use File DSNs, you need to follow up on
how to use them with the BDE, or use an ADO/ODBC alternative until
Inprise releases one of their own.

Hope that helps.

Al

Other Threads