Difference between ascii ANSI and Paradox ascii

I recently completed an application based on Paradox level 5.  I used
the default table language of 'ascii' ANSI and everything worked well.
However when I came to use MS Access to link to the Paradox tables, I
could not do so until I changed the table language to Paradox 'ascii'.
(I also had to shorten the table names to 8 characters, but that is
another matter.)

I used Database Desktop to change the table language and I have not
experienced any problems with data created under 'ascii' ANSI being
changed.

Could anyone please explain the difference between the two table
languages?

TIA

Best wishes

Dave