BDE and Linux Samba

I'm current runnig a small application using Paradox Table in a Linux
Samba Server.

All works fine, but the access speed isn't good. It's very slow!!!

Where are the problem? I think that BDE doesn't works fine when I use
a multiuser environment with the tables in a server (NT or Linux).

Any comments?

[]'s
Paulo
[]'s
Paulo Garcia
<< I'll learn English >>

Re:BDE and Linux Samba

Paulo Garcia wrote:

> I'm current runnig a small application using Paradox Table in a Linux
> Samba Server.

> All works fine, but the access speed isn't good. It's very slow!!!

> Where are the problem? I think that BDE doesn't works fine when I use
> a multiuser environment with the tables in a server (NT or Linux).

The BDE is very capable in a multiuser environment. But paradox and
multi-user ???

I suggest you change to an SQL-server ... there are many free ones for
linux (IBM DB/2, Oracle, Sybase) if you like.

Re:BDE and Linux Samba

De Messemaeker Johan wrote:

> Paulo Garcia wrote:

> > I'm current runnig a small application using Paradox Table in a Linux
> > Samba Server.

> > All works fine, but the access speed isn't good. It's very slow!!!

> > Where are the problem? I think that BDE doesn't works fine when I use
> > a multiuser environment with the tables in a server (NT or Linux).

> The BDE is very capable in a multiuser environment. But paradox and
> multi-user ???

> I suggest you change to an SQL-server ... there are many free ones for
> linux (IBM DB/2, Oracle, Sybase) if you like.

And by the way (i stated it unclear) : when you want an application to
be multi-user, you have to check your database-system and data-design.
It's not the BDE that's responsible for the multi-user, it's the DB. The
BDE is just a layer between the DB and your application.

Re:BDE and Linux Samba

Hi, Paulo

>All works fine, but the access speed isn't good. It's very slow!!!

Maybe the network is slow... or maybe there are too much users on that
server...

>Where are the problem? I think that BDE doesn't works fine when I use
>a multiuser environment with the tables in a server (NT or Linux).

BDE works fine with multiuser application.
With Linux servers, I don't know, but with NT servers it woks very well.
How many users do you have ?

Best Regards
Fernando Dias

Re:BDE and Linux Samba

I use a linux box as my main fileserver at home and I get great
performance out of it, perhaps the setup of the samba box isnt
sufficient for the quantity of files/users etc you have?

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:53:18 +0100, "Fernando Dias"

<fernandod...@vidisco.pt> wrote:
>Hi, Paulo

>>All works fine, but the access speed isn't good. It's very slow!!!

>Maybe the network is slow... or maybe there are too much users on that
>server...

>>Where are the problem? I think that BDE doesn't works fine when I use
>>a multiuser environment with the tables in a server (NT or Linux).

>BDE works fine with multiuser application.
>With Linux servers, I don't know, but with NT servers it woks very well.
>How many users do you have ?

>Best Regards
>Fernando Dias

Re:BDE and Linux Samba

De Messemaeker Johan wrote:

> And by the way (i stated it unclear) : when you want an application to
> be multi-user, you have to check your database-system and data-design.
> It's not the BDE that's responsible for the multi-user, it's the DB. The
> BDE is just a layer between the DB and your application.

This maybe is not completely true. The DB files really are just dummy
files, that do have some specific format, dBase,Paradox, Access etc.

All the processing logic to manipulate these files, both in single user
and multi user environment lies in that bunch of .DLL files, that we
call BDE.

For instance, there are available some some self made DB-management
systems that can read and write dBase IV files, but only in single user
mode, no multiuser capability supported.
But you can easily take those dBase files, and start accessing them
in multi user mode with Delphi and BDE. It's really the BDE layer that
takes care of the record lockings, caching and many other things.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:BDE and Linux Samba

Johan,
I don't know about Oracle and Sybase, but IBM DB/2 for Linux is only free
for developers. If you want to distribute your applications, then your
clients have to pay big bucks for that software.
It wouldn't surprise me if Oracle and Sybase works similarly.

Mikael Bak
Hungary

De Messemaeker Johan wrote in message <37984BE6.F3274...@hemmis.be>...
>Paulo Garcia wrote:

[snip]
>I suggest you change to an SQL-server ... there are many free ones for
>linux (IBM DB/2, Oracle, Sybase) if you like.

Re:BDE and Linux Samba

> I'm current runnig a small application using Paradox Table in a Linux
> Samba Server.

> All works fine, but the access speed isn't good. It's very slow!!!

Hello Paulo,

You can make a share on a Win95 computer and see if it is faster.  You
might have something set wrong on your Samba server.  You can do some
tuning.  I've been running FoxPro (with FoxPro tables) on a Samba server
for 2.5 years now.  It works good and faster than when I used NT Server
3.51.

What I am going for now is Delphi + MySQL on Linux.  MySQL is an
"almost free" database server complete with ODBC drivers for Windows.
It seems to work very good (except if you have a table named "user" :)

Scott Serr

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/