Interbase Workgroup & Interbase Local databases

Borland claims that Interbase Workgroup server can be used to upsize from
Local Interbase server databases.  They also claim that the IBase
workgroup server files can be downsized to run on laptops via the Local
interbase server.  These are both very attractive to us.  One problem -
how to implement these features?

We have an IBase workgroup server running on Novell 3.12.  How can I copy
the entire database file so that an app running on a laptop can use the
local IBase server to access the tables, triggers, generators, etc.

Does one have to manually re-create the database structure and then use
the database desktop to copy the tables individually?  I am hoping not -
very tedius/error prone.

Any ideas?

Martin Bradley
amha...@students.wisc.edu

Re:Interbase Workgroup & Interbase Local databases

Martin Bradley <amha...@students.wisc.edu> wrote:
>Borland claims that Interbase Workgroup server can be used to upsize from
>Local Interbase server databases.  They also claim that the IBase
>workgroup server files can be downsized to run on laptops via the Local
>interbase server.  These are both very attractive to us.  One problem -
>how to implement these features?
>We have an IBase workgroup server running on Novell 3.12.  How can I copy
>the entire database file so that an app running on a laptop can use the
>local IBase server to access the tables, triggers, generators, etc.
>Does one have to manually re-create the database structure and then use
>the database desktop to copy the tables individually?  I am hoping not -
>very tedius/error prone.
>Any ideas?
>Martin Bradley
>amha...@students.wisc.edu

No ideas, but.....
This is probably gonna get me flamed, but....

Okay, I have just got the Delphi Cilent/Server product, ordered with 3 Delphi Desktops,
3 Paradox for Windows, and 3 Forehelp products.  This order is intended for a project
for the U.S. Army, and will encompass a large database to track courses, classes, and
students of the Army Environmental Training school.  These classes will be taught by
Army personnel, civilians, and contractors, world-wide, and the student data is required
by law to be retained for up to fifty (50) years in some cases.  We are also planning on
tracking instructor certifications and training, and an extensive mailing list as well.

So much for the background.....
I am EXTREMELY upset at the nearly false advertising that Borland has used on the C/S
product.  When the C/S box is read, one of the 'featured' items is '...support for
team development...and version control...'.  If you look REAL close, there is a footnote
to this, and at the bottom of the box, in small print(!) is the statement that you must
have PCVS for this 'feature' to apply.  Now, the Desktop version ALSO provides this
identical support, with the PCVS product, so there is no real requirement for the C/S
version in order to add versioning control.  That's number one.

Number two:
I would REALLY like to see the rationale used to price this product.  I cannot see, nor
find, any justification for the over $1500.00 price this thing costs.  Where is the value?
The SQL Links?  Useless without a separately purchased SQL server database manager (Oracle,Informix,
Sybase, Interbase).  Interbase?? Does not the C/S version come with an Interbase Server?  Nope.  It
comes with the SAME local Interbase Server the Desktop version does!  Useful ONLY on a local
machine, with one (count it, ONE) user at a time.  The VCL source?  Borland sells it separately for
$99.00 and with the Desktop version for $49.00.  The SQL Links comes with the BC++ 4.5+ with
Database Framework for $99.00 over the cost of the BC++ 4.5+ alone.

The ONLY rationale I can think of is that the SQL Links and the Local Interbase Server
are granted an unlimited distribution license.  Okay, if you are developing re-sale end
user software.  This could be good, but I would think that much of the use of this product
is for internal corporation development.

Finally....
Okay, I am going to use the Local Interbase Server for development, and scale it up to
the real Interbase Server after development.  Oops, got a problem here.  I have several
programmers working on this.  If each user maintains his own, local, IB database,
un-synchorized databases immediately start growing like weeds!  For team development,
you need a central database server, with a Database Administrator to control database
metadata changes.  The only way to do this is to use Paradox, or dBase, or FoxPro.
If I do that, what advantage does having the Local IB Server do me?

We are probably going to bite the bullet, and purchase the full blown Interbase server,
just because we are in deep here and have a deadline to meet, but I must say, I am NOT
HAPPY with this Delp[hi Client/Server product.  I have used Borland products since
Turbo Pascal version 1.0, and Turbo C Version 1.0, and this is the first time I have
been even faintly dis-satisfied with Borland.  And even now it is not the product I
am unhappy with, it is the marketing approach and pricing rationale.

// Programming is like pinball...the only reward for doing
// it well is getting to do it again.

Re:Interbase Workgroup & Interbase Local databases

Martin Bradley <amha...@students.wisc.edu> wrote:
>Borland claims that Interbase Workgroup server can be used to upsize from
>Local Interbase server databases.  They also claim that the IBase
>workgroup server files can be downsized to run on laptops via the Local
>interbase server.  These are both very attractive to us.  One problem -
>how to implement these features?
>We have an IBase workgroup server running on Novell 3.12.  How can I copy
>the entire database file so that an app running on a laptop can use the
>local IBase server to access the tables, triggers, generators, etc.
>Does one have to manually re-create the database structure and then use
>the database desktop to copy the tables individually?  I am hoping not -
>very tedius/error prone.
>Any ideas?
>Martin Bradley
>amha...@students.wisc.edu

Use Backup and Restore respectively in the Server Manager making sure
you check the box marked "Transportable Format" If you use IB NT
rather than IB NLM the files are compatible with IB Local.

Hope this Helps

Mike

Re:Interbase Workgroup & Interbase Local databases

Martin Bradley (amha...@students.wisc.edu) wrote:

: Borland claims that Interbase Workgroup server can be used to upsize from
: Local Interbase server databases.  They also claim that the IBase
: workgroup server files can be downsized to run on laptops via the Local
: interbase server.  These are both very attractive to us.  One problem -
: how to implement these features?

Making a machine portable copy of an InterBase database can be
done simply by Gbak using the transportable option. The only
items of note are where you have expressed something which depends
on physical features of the originating o/s. Specifically, dependent
on the box you have to watch out for file open names on multi-file
databases, journalling etc, user defined functions/blob filters.

--
Nigel Campbell            Voice: (613) 738-1338 ext 3016   P.O. Box 9707,Stn.T
Business Intelligence       FAX: (613) 738-0002            3755 Riverside Dr.

Other Threads