saving a 256 color icon

I've searched high and far for a routine to save a TIcon to a file in 256 or
higher color format. The TIcon.SaveToFile (and indeed TIcon.SaveToStream)
saves the icon as a 16 color icon. Does anybody has a generic routine or
patch they can point me at.

  I've written a bmp/gif/jpg to icon converter - I've patched together a
routine to save an icon as a 256 color icon, using Microsoft's Icon file
format - it's VERY patchy and not very useable as a routine to stick into a
TIcon descendant, but someone might be able to modify it enough to do the
trick.

    The sourcecode can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/2430/bedsoft.html

thanks