turbo pascal vs delphi

hello all,

        i need some advice: i would like to start writing windows
apps/programs after years of writing dos programs in turbo pascal 6.0,
and i 'd just like to know if i should start with turbo pascal for
windows or delphi.

        i have tried turbo c++ for windows 4.5 but sometimes i have trouble
making out the error messages, like sometimes i would get a "invalid
floating point" when, i think, it should be "divsion by zero"
(strange). but what i'd really like is a "range checking" feature
(like in tp6.0 for dos) where the complier adds some code to flag any
invalid indexes to arrays or overflows/underflows in integers/real
numbers. this "range checking" feature seems to be lacking in turbo
c++, so, i have to add extra lines of code to do this :(

thanks for any infomation or help.
dave

Re:turbo pascal vs delphi

In article <4vbgdg$...@carrera.intergate.bc.ca> ssz...@intergate.bc.ca (dave) writes:
>        i need some advice: i would like to start writing windows
>apps/programs after years of writing dos programs in turbo pascal 6.0,
>and i 'd just like to know if i should start with turbo pascal for
>windows or delphi.

Delphi -is- the latest incarnation of Turbo Pascal.  In fact, it's "version
8."  The VCL library is definitely easier to use than OWL and you will find
that Delphi (Developer) is certainly an easy way to do Windows programming.
And it is definitely "turbo."  It -screams.-  (At least the 16-bit version
does.)

I strongly advise purchasing the Developer edition, albeit at a greater
initial out-of-pocket expense, because you get a lot more, particularly
including the VCL source-code.

Also note that the Delphi 2.0 package includes the latest release of the
16-bit compiler as well.  (A strong move that I hope Borland will continue.)

>        i have tried turbo c++ for windows 4.5 but sometimes i have trouble
>making out the error messages, like sometimes i would get a "invalid
>floating point" when, i think, it should be "divsion by zero"
>(strange). but what i'd really like is a "range checking" feature
>(like in tp6.0 for dos) where the complier adds some code to flag any
>invalid indexes to arrays or overflows/underflows in integers/real
>numbers. this "range checking" feature seems to be lacking in turbo
>c++, so, i have to add extra lines of code to do this :(

C++ is a different beast, although I like the Turbo implementation of it very
much.  I say again, you'll fall in love with the VCL library immediately.

/mr/

Re:turbo pascal vs delphi

sund...@primenet.com (Sundial Services) wrote:
>In article <4vbgdg$...@carrera.intergate.bc.ca> ssz...@intergate.bc.ca (dave) writes:
>>        i need some advice: i would like to start writing windows
>>apps/programs after years of writing dos programs in turbo pascal 6.0,
>>and i 'd just like to know if i should start with turbo pascal for
>>windows or delphi.
>I strongly advise purchasing the Developer edition, albeit at a greater
>initial out-of-pocket expense, because you get a lot more, particularly
>including the VCL source-code.

When you use TPW you need to understand more about how
Windows works - I think this is a good thing. But Delphi is much
easier. Also Delphi is more likely to be available for future
operating systems. TPW seems a bit like a dead end.
---Liz.

Re:turbo pascal vs delphi

> When you use TPW you need to understand more about how
> Windows works - I think this is a good thing. But Delphi is much
> easier. Also Delphi is more likely to be available for future
> operating systems. TPW seems a bit like a dead end.

We do BP7 development (OWL), but use Delphi 1.0.  A few minor mods is
a small price to pay for the handiness of integrated debugging.

-Erik Johnson
e...@phidias.colorado.edu
http://phidias.colorado.edu/vgallery.html

Re:turbo pascal vs delphi

ssz...@intergate.bc.ca (dave) wrote:
>hello all,

>    i need some advice: i would like to start writing windows
>apps/programs after years of writing dos programs in turbo pascal 6.0,
>and i 'd just like to know if i should start with turbo pascal for
>windows or delphi.

>    i have tried turbo c++ for windows 4.5 but sometimes i have trouble
>making out the error messages, like sometimes i would get a "invalid
>floating point" when, i think, it should be "divsion by zero"
>(strange). but what i'd really like is a "range checking" feature
>(like in tp6.0 for dos) where the complier adds some code to flag any
>invalid indexes to arrays or overflows/underflows in integers/real
>numbers. this "range checking" feature seems to be lacking in turbo
>c++, so, i have to add extra lines of code to do this :(

>thanks for any infomation or help.
>dave

Start using Delphi.  It is simple and there are many books on the
subject.  You should consider yourself lucky if you can find any books on
Windows Programming using Turbo/Borland Pascal.

Delphi Version 2.0 (32 bit for windows 95 and NT) includes version 1.01
free for 16 bit applications.

John

Re:turbo pascal vs delphi

Liz Hundy wrote:

> sund...@primenet.com (Sundial Services) wrote:

> >In article <4vbgdg$...@carrera.intergate.bc.ca> ssz...@intergate.bc.ca (dave) writes:

> >>        i need some advice: i would like to start writing windows
> >>apps/programs after years of writing dos programs in turbo pascal 6.0,
> >>and i 'd just like to know if i should start with turbo pascal for
> >>windows or delphi.

> >I strongly advise purchasing the Developer edition, albeit at a greater
> >initial out-of-pocket expense, because you get a lot more, particularly
> >including the VCL source-code.

> When you use TPW you need to understand more about how
> Windows works - I think this is a good thing. But Delphi is much
> easier. Also Delphi is more likely to be available for future
> operating systems. TPW seems a bit like a dead end.
> ---Liz.

I agree with Liz.  TPW is excellent for learning the inner workings of
Windows.  It also creates very small exe files compared with Delphi.
Unfortunately, Borland has no future plans for the product.  I continue
to use TPW for maintaining my existing code and simple 16 bit programs.
 I use Delphi for most new development.

-Ed

Other Threads