DBase III Tables (Colin Acheson)

Colin,

Thanks by reply...

Well, I am asking this because I need to export parts of my database to a
Clipper application. This Clipper application build, for every new projects,
some DBF files (including files with more than 254 fields, and fields with
more than 254 characters). About write my own routine to write the file
format and put all informations inside, there is no problem. I know, the
whell is already ok, but I think that using Delphi I should get back to the
"stone-age" and rebuild the whell. I would like to find a set of components
which can build this file for me, but I can't find any yet.

About Interbase, we are working with this by now. I have working with
Interbase (not professionally) since JAN/99, and the version 6.01 is working
ok for me. But the "export" routine to Clipper application will stay in this
version of the program... There is no other way to me.

Thanks...

Giovani Marinho

PS.: I was looking for the file format at http://www.wotsit.org, but there
is not a specific Clipper DBase format.

Re:DBase III Tables (Colin Acheson)

The Halcyon table component can read/write Clipper tables and is can be used
along with the BDE.  I don't know about handling 1024 fields but I'd guess
it will.

Paul / ColumbuSoft
www.columbusoft.com

Giovani Marinho <giovan...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Colin,

> Thanks by reply...

> Well, I am asking this because I need to export parts of my database to a
> Clipper application. This Clipper application build, for every new
projects,
> some DBF files (including files with more than 254 fields, and fields with
> more than 254 characters). About write my own routine to write the file
> format and put all informations inside, there is no problem. I know, the
> whell is already ok, but I think that using Delphi I should get back to
the
> "stone-age" and rebuild the whell. I would like to find a set of
components
> which can build this file for me, but I can't find any yet.

> About Interbase, we are working with this by now. I have working with
> Interbase (not professionally) since JAN/99, and the version 6.01 is
working
> ok for me. But the "export" routine to Clipper application will stay in
this
> version of the program... There is no other way to me.

> Thanks...

> Giovani Marinho

> PS.: I was looking for the file format at http://www.wotsit.org, but there
> is not a specific Clipper DBase format.

Re:DBase III Tables (Colin Acheson)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:23:38 -0200, "Giovani Marinho"

<giovan...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Well, I am asking this because I need to export parts of my database to a
>Clipper application. This Clipper application build, for every new projects,
>some DBF files (including files with more than 254 fields, and fields with
>more than 254 characters). About write my own routine to write the file
>format and put all informations inside, there is no problem. I know, the
>whell is already ok, but I think that using Delphi I should get back to the
>"stone-age" and rebuild the whell. I would like to find a set of components
>which can build this file for me, but I can't find any yet.

Check out the free Advantage Local Server on
www.advantagedatabase.com.  This will allow you to open Clipper files
including their indexes.

Great product, easy transition from BDE, good support and the best
part is that allows you to grow into client/server without source code
changes.

Instead of the above limits, Advantage DBF/NTX has these:
- maximum char field length: 65530 bytes
- maximum number of fields per table: 2035

HTH,

Jan

Other Threads