Board index » delphi » Delphi 32 - How much 32 bit?

Delphi 32 - How much 32 bit?

I have a few questions about Delphi 32 bit, as well as version 2.0 which
should be out soon. Note that I have not yet purchased Delphi, and am
postponing this until the 32 bit version is out, or until I can be
guaranteed that there are free upgrades, etc..)

1. What do they mean by 32 bit? In my native UNIX environment I can
support data structures as large as I like, and am not restricted to a 64k
stack size. I hate PC programming for these two reasons: I cannot do much
with recursive routines since I can only incur 64k's worth of recurences.
Also, not data structure can be larger that 64k without pointers to
pointers to more pointers. In UNIX, this DOES NOT MATTER! I LONG for a
true 32 bit programming environment for the PC. Will Delphi do this?

2. In purchasing Delphi, I will purchase the RAD pack. I want to know if I
will get a free upgrade of this (or if I even need one), when the 32 bit
version ships. This is of course under the assumption that I will go out
and purchase it before the 32 bit version it available.

3. Are there any manuals not included in the basic package? ie: If I buy
delphi now, am I missing any manuals? Same story for the 32 bit?

4. Last question: What has version 2.0 to do with the 32 bit version? Are
they seperate beasts? When will version 2 come out? So near to the point
of the 32 bit version's arrival that I might as well wait for it also?

Thanks very much for your time!
-Greg
gregw...@idirect.com

 

Re:Delphi 32 - How much 32 bit?


In article <ragnaroek1996Jan20.023052.23...@news2.compulink.com>,
gregw...@idirect.com says...

Quote

>I have a few questions about Delphi 32 bit, as well as version 2.0 which
>should be out soon. Note that I have not yet purchased Delphi, and am
>postponing this until the 32 bit version is out, or until I can be
>guaranteed that there are free upgrades, etc..)

>1. What do they mean by 32 bit? In my native UNIX environment I can
>support data structures as large as I like, and am not restricted to a
64k
>stack size. I hate PC programming for these two reasons: I cannot do
much
>with recursive routines since I can only incur 64k's worth of
recurences.
>Also, not data structure can be larger that 64k without pointers to
>pointers to more pointers. In UNIX, this DOES NOT MATTER! I LONG for a
>true 32 bit programming environment for the PC. Will Delphi do this?

>2. In purchasing Delphi, I will purchase the RAD pack. I want to know if
I
>will get a free upgrade of this (or if I even need one), when the 32 bit
>version ships. This is of course under the assumption that I will go out
>and purchase it before the 32 bit version it available.

As explained by a mail froom borland, they have not yet planned for an
upgrade for the RAD pack(probably won't because it does sell too well
for the 16 bit version).

Quote
>3. Are there any manuals not included in the basic package? ie: If I buy
>delphi now, am I missing any manuals? Same story for the 32 bit?

Quiet a bit acturally, VCL reference and OOP Pacsal referece just to name
two, they do appeared as a .pdf(adobe acrobat file) on the CD

Quote
>4. Last question: What has version 2.0 to do with the 32 bit version?
Are
>they seperate beasts? When will version 2 come out? So near to the point
>of the 32 bit version's arrival that I might as well wait for it also?

The follwoing is a true story:

I bought the Delphi 1.0 and the RAD pack in the COMDEX show two days ago.
I buy the RAD pack without much look because i kept hear that it is
important(very dump, acturally). The same night i phone borland for
registering the product. I asked the guy in borland if 2.0 will not be  
compatible with code from 1.0. Because most of my client are still using
Windows 3.1, therefore  i will buy 1.0 and later 2.0 when it become
availble. Then the guy said, " No, version 2.0 will acturally have a
serprate copy of 1.0, and there is no reason why you would buy the 1.0
now". Then i said, " So you are suggesting me to return it to Borland a
wait for 2.0 which is coming out March 1?" The guy said, "Yes". The
following day i pack the whole thing and send it back to borland.

My point is, if you buy the 1.0 which when you register the product, the
company tell you to send it back, Is borland trying to:

1. Scam the igorance for buying now and buy later also or
2. Give the public a trial run, see if you like 1.0 , then decide if you
would buy 2.0 with very low charge($5 shipping and handling, which i am
sure they can't make a profit on)?

Any comment welcome!
Tom

- Show quoted text -

Quote
>Thanks very much for your time!
>-Greg
>gregw...@idirect.com

Re:Delphi 32 - How much 32 bit?


1.  ALL 32-bit!  I'm told the new compiler is so good that they replaced
all inline assembly code and the compiled code it produced was faster than
if they used their assembly code!  (BTW--64k recursion:  do you REALLY
need to go that deep?)

2.  There are now three Delphi 2.0 levels:  Desktop, Developer, and
Client/Server.  The new middle level, Developer, would be like buying
Delphi 1.0 Destop and the RAD pack--only much better.

3.  Actually, I believe there are MORE manuals available.  If not in
hardcopy, they are available on CD.  One of the new manuals available for
both 1.0 and 2.0 is a VCL reference guide.  If you contact Borland for the
very inexpensive 1.02 upgrade ($5 + S/H) you will also receive the VCL
guide (on the CD).

4.  As I said before, 2.0 is entirely 32-bit.  If you want to create
software for 16-bit Windows, use 1.0; for 32-bit Windows use 2.0.  Version
2.0 is scheduled to go gold in late January, and shipping is scheduled to
begin March 1.  BTW, you will receive Delphi 1.02 in the 2.0 package.
(I'm not sure if you get 1.02 with the Desktop version, but you will with
either Developer or Client/Server versions.)

LBehr...@aol.com

Re:Delphi 32 - How much 32 bit?


In article <ragnaroek1996Jan20.023052.23...@news2.compulink.com>,
   gregw...@idirect.com (Gregory Wade) wrote:

Quote
>I have a few questions about Delphi 32 bit...
>1. What do they mean by 32 bit? In my native UNIX environment I can
>support data structures as large as I like, and am not restricted to a 64k
>stack size. I hate PC programming for these two reasons: I cannot do much
>with recursive routines since I can only incur 64k's worth of recurences.
>Also, not data structure can be larger that 64k without pointers to
>pointers to more pointers. In UNIX, this DOES NOT MATTER! I LONG for a
>true 32 bit programming environment for the PC. Will Delphi do this?

Yes.

Quote
>2. In purchasing Delphi, I will purchase the RAD pack. I want to know if I
>will get a free upgrade of this (or if I even need one), when the 32 bit
>version ships. This is of course under the assumption that I will go out
>and purchase it before the 32 bit version it available.

Delphi 2.0 Developer is the 32-bit equivalent of Delphi 1.0 plus the
RAD pack, roughly.

Quote
>3. Are there any manuals not included in the basic package? ie: If I buy
>delphi now, am I missing any manuals? Same story for the 32 bit?

The Language Reference guide now comes with Delphi.

Quote
>4. Last question: What has version 2.0 to do with the 32 bit version? Are
>they seperate beasts? When will version 2 come out? So near to the point
>of the 32 bit version's arrival that I might as well wait for it also?

Delphi 2.0 is the 32-bit version. It should be out some time in February.
You should definately wait for Delphi 2.0 to come out.

Quote
>Thanks very much for your time!

Not a problem.

Paul Thurrott

Re:Delphi 32 - How much 32 bit?


In article <4du2nu$...@news.getnet.com>
           thurr...@getnet.com "Paul Thurrott" writes:

Quote
> In article <ragnaroek1996Jan20.023052.23...@news2.compulink.com>,
>    gregw...@idirect.com (Gregory Wade) wrote:

...

Quote
> >3. Are there any manuals not included in the basic package? ie: If I buy
> >delphi now, am I missing any manuals? Same story for the 32 bit?

> The Language Reference guide now comes with Delphi.

What about the printed Visual Component Library Reference?

- Chris

Re:Delphi 32 - How much 32 bit?


Quote
lbehr...@aol.com (L Behrens) wrote:
> (BTW--64k recursion:  do you REALLY
>need to go that deep?)

It may not be a question of how many levels of recursion, rather the
size of the local variables.

Erling Jacobsen

Other Threads