Debugging in Delphi 2.0

I am just beginning to work with Delphi. I want to be able to step into
the .pas files that Borland ships in the \source directory while
debugging my app.  (Why you may ask?  Because I like to look under the
hood.  Also it gives me great insight into how to implement something).

I am used to Microsoft VC++ where I can compile a debugging version of
the runtime library to contain symbolic information and link them to my
app.

How do I do the similar thing with Delphi?

Thanks

Re:Debugging in Delphi 2.0

Eric Fleming wrote:

> I am just beginning to work with Delphi. I want to be able to step into
> the .pas files that Borland ships in the \source directory while
> debugging my app.  (Why you may ask?  Because I like to look under the
> hood.  Also it gives me great insight into how to implement something).

> How do I do the similar thing with Delphi?

There's a makefile in the Source directory. Try running make. I
believe it should work, but I have never tried it...
I like grep and TD in assembler mode.... :*)

M.

--
Martin Larsson, author of several unknown utilities for DOS and Windows.
mailto:martin.lars...@delfi-data.msmail.telemax.no

Re:Debugging in Delphi 2.0

Eric Fleming wrote:

> I am just beginning to work with Delphi. I want to be able to step into
> the .pas files that Borland ships in the \source directory while
> debugging my app.  (Why you may ask?  Because I like to look under the
> hood.  Also it gives me great insight into how to implement something).

> I am used to Microsoft VC++ where I can compile a debugging version of
> the runtime library to contain symbolic information and link them to my
> app.

> How do I do the similar thing with Delphi?

> Thanks

Include the VCL source in the project search path. e.g.:
Options, Project..., select the Directories/Conditionals tab,
and add the following to Search path:
c:\delphi\source\vcl;c:\delphi\source\rtl\win;c:\delphi\source\rtl\sys;

Rebuild your project: Compile, Build All.

Now you can debug the VCL source. Happy hacking !

Michael Brinks

Other Threads