A novice question on newsgroups

All the responses I have received from the groups have been great even
more importantly the responses to other peoples questions I read and
have got alot of benefit out of.

I like to read all the responses back from the group but I have a
problem when displaying the unread messages,  sometimes a  response is
not sequential but is under the original subject which at times I miss.
Is that because they have been anwsered in another newsgroup or have I
got one of the settings of netscape incorrect ?

Thanks
Allan

Re:A novice question on newsgroups

39110C2B.21855...@actfs.com.au...
:
: I like to read all the responses back from the group but I have a
: problem when displaying the unread messages,  sometimes a  response is
: not sequential but is under the original subject which at times I miss.
: Is that because they have been anwsered in another newsgroup or have I
: got one of the settings of netscape incorrect ?
:
: Thanks
: Allan
:
Hi, Allan.
AFAIK, it depends on the settings of the news server you are using, because
it's possible that the original message is too old for the server to be
stored longer...
Have a look at http://www.deja.com/home_ps.shtml where you can find the
complete threads of the answers you are reading.

Hth,
Matthias.

"Allan Morris" <allan.mor...@actfs.com.au> wrote in message

> I like to read all the responses back from the group but I have a
> problem when displaying the unread messages,  sometimes a  response is
> not sequential but is under the original subject which at times I miss.
> Is that because they have been anwsered in another newsgroup or have I
> got one of the settings of netscape incorrect ?

There are lots of different news servers around.  A news server regularly
polls some other news servers, and then they mutually update their messages.
Since a news server does not poll all other servers, it sometimes take quite
a while for a message on one server to reach another server.

If you want to see a message that is not shown on your server, try searching
for that message on Deja.com, most news messages gets archived here.

Christo Crause

Other Threads