Need to support several databases

Hello,

I need to support several database, because my customers use each one
different database, also Oracle.

1) Is there a good way to avoid the use of many databases for the
development team (well, I don't want to do so many sql-scripts, which are
different from each other in each databases, for one sql query) ?
  (i.e make a first translation to Oracle database, so my program sql-script
will be good to one database,
   maybe using CORBA for multi-platformed development).
2) What is the common and the cheapest way to support different databases.
3) I need some examples/tutorials.

Thanks :o)

Re:Need to support several databases

Eitan,

   Check out MIDAS/DataSnap or Asta (www.astatech.com)  These tools allow
the front-end be database independent and still allow you to support any
database backend you need.

You'll find the "Swiss-army knife" approach, one big EXE and only changing
the BDE alias, simple at first, but later you will discover what works great
for MSSQL, doesn't work well with Oracle.

Good luck,
krf

Eitan Mizrahi <eit...@e-ntouch.com> wrote in message

> Hello,

> I need to support several database, because my customers use each one
> different database, also Oracle.

> 1) Is there a good way to avoid the use of many databases for the
> development team (well, I don't want to do so many sql-scripts, which are
> different from each other in each databases, for one sql query) ?
>   (i.e make a first translation to Oracle database, so my program
sql-script
> will be good to one database,
>    maybe using CORBA for multi-platformed development).
> 2) What is the common and the cheapest way to support different databases.
> 3) I need some examples/tutorials.

> Thanks :o)

Re:Need to support several databases

What are your specific experiences with the big EXE and different aliases? I
have not found these issues, but perhaps I am not venturing into the
dangerious areas.

Cheers

"Kevin Frevert" <kfrev...@midwayusa.com> wrote in message

> Eitan,

>    Check out MIDAS/DataSnap or Asta (www.astatech.com)  These tools allow
> the front-end be database independent and still allow you to support any
> database backend you need.

> You'll find the "Swiss-army knife" approach, one big EXE and only changing
> the BDE alias, simple at first, but later you will discover what works
great
> for MSSQL, doesn't work well with Oracle.

> Good luck,
> krf

> Eitan Mizrahi <eit...@e-ntouch.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,

> > I need to support several database, because my customers use each one
> > different database, also Oracle.

> > 1) Is there a good way to avoid the use of many databases for the
> > development team (well, I don't want to do so many sql-scripts, which
are
> > different from each other in each databases, for one sql query) ?
> >   (i.e make a first translation to Oracle database, so my program
> sql-script
> > will be good to one database,
> >    maybe using CORBA for multi-platformed development).
> > 2) What is the common and the cheapest way to support different
databases.
> > 3) I need some examples/tutorials.

> > Thanks :o)

Other Threads