BAD Borland BAD !!!

Hello All, (and Borland)

I have a small request for Borland, Why don't you release the components
that you use. I posted a message a while back asking for a component
that will be a Memo box with diff. text colors both foreground and
background. I got an reply that said I must try some custom
stuff....which did not work. Then I was looking around in the options
stuff and guess what i found.......Borlands RichEdit that they use for
the Code Editor supports what I need....Now I ask the question...WHY
DOESN"T BORLAND RELEASE THAT COMPONENT ????

I paid a LOT of money for my Delphi Client/Server copy and now I find
that Borland let me down ??? I can still except this from Microsoft but
not from Borland.

Thanks,

Pieter De Wit

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:BAD Borland BAD !!!

In article <[email protected]>, Pieter De Wit wrote...
> Hello All, (and Borland)

> I have a small request for Borland, Why don't you release the components
> that you use. I posted a message a while back asking for a component
> that will be a Memo box with diff. text colors both foreground and
> background. I got an reply that said I must try some custom
> stuff....which did not work. Then I was looking around in the options
> stuff and guess what i found.......Borlands RichEdit that they use for
> the Code Editor supports what I need....Now I ask the question...WHY
> DOESN"T BORLAND RELEASE THAT COMPONENT ????

> I paid a LOT of money for my Delphi Client/Server copy and now I find
> that Borland let me down ??? I can still except this from Microsoft but
> not from Borland.

Borland doesn't use the RichEdit component for the Code Editor (use
WinSight to check this). It's a totally different component. Borland
doesn't release any details or components about the IDE. Nor does
Microsoft release details about their Visual Studio or Visual Basic
editor or about Word, for instance.

The VCL for Delphi 2 and Delphi 3 have a RichEdit component. This is an
encapsulation of the Win95/NT rich edit common control. Win3.x doesn't
have such a control, so D1 doesn't have a wrapper for it. You'll have to
use third party controls to get a rich edit or color memo in Delphi 1. If
you use Delphi 2 or 3, you already have the control. So what's the
problem?

--
Rudy Velthuis

Remove NO. and .SPAM from address to reply

Re:BAD Borland BAD !!!

On Sun, 21 Jun 1998 12:38:33 +0200, Pieter De Wit <[email protected]>
wrote:

>the Code Editor supports what I need....Now I ask the question...WHY
>DOESN"T BORLAND RELEASE THAT COMPONENT ????

Because Borland is not required to. Why should they? Besides... you have
the component source, you can go and look at the vcl source and see how the
component works.

>I paid a LOT of money for my Delphi Client/Server copy and now I find
>that Borland let me down ??? I can still except this from Microsoft but
>not from Borland.

Don't blame it on Borland. Don't blame the fact that you bought
Client/Server and expected to see the source for the Delphi IDE in there on
Borland either. That was your own fault.

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
ellipse data systems
-
= Opinions expressed are not representative of my company, but just my own
= Delphi User Groups in South Africa: http://www.dugg.org.za/
= Spam-garbled address: [email protected]

Re:BAD Borland BAD !!!

The problem here is that I can set the background color of a single char. in
the memo. Borland has a component that supports this and I want to get a copy
or source of this component. I mean who better to ask then the creators of a
product and best of all is they already have this component avail ??

Rudy Velthuis wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Pieter De Wit wrote...
> > Hello All, (and Borland)

> > I have a small request for Borland, Why don't you release the components
> > that you use. I posted a message a while back asking for a component
> > that will be a Memo box with diff. text colors both foreground and
> > background. I got an reply that said I must try some custom
> > stuff....which did not work. Then I was looking around in the options
> > stuff and guess what i found.......Borlands RichEdit that they use for
> > the Code Editor supports what I need....Now I ask the question...WHY
> > DOESN"T BORLAND RELEASE THAT COMPONENT ????

> > I paid a LOT of money for my Delphi Client/Server copy and now I find
> > that Borland let me down ??? I can still except this from Microsoft but
> > not from Borland.

> Borland doesn't use the RichEdit component for the Code Editor (use
> WinSight to check this). It's a totally different component. Borland
> doesn't release any details or components about the IDE. Nor does
> Microsoft release details about their Visual Studio or Visual Basic
> editor or about Word, for instance.

> The VCL for Delphi 2 and Delphi 3 have a RichEdit component. This is an
> encapsulation of the Win95/NT rich edit common control. Win3.x doesn't
> have such a control, so D1 doesn't have a wrapper for it. You'll have to
> use third party controls to get a rich edit or color memo in Delphi 1. If
> you use Delphi 2 or 3, you already have the control. So what's the
> problem?

> --
> Rudy Velthuis

> Remove NO. and .SPAM from address to reply

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:BAD Borland BAD !!!

Pieter,
  Guess what, bud?.. You bought a PACKAGE... Boralnd(Inprise) didn't even
have to give us the source to the components that they do, let alone
whatever internal code that they may use. You can ask, sure... but don't
sniffle that Borland let you down.. you got a HELL of a product for your
money. Go ask Microsoft for thier Richedit's source code and see how far you
get!
Good luck!!
   Dave
http://www.erols.com/dparsons

wrote:

>Hello All, (and Borland)

>I have a small request for Borland, Why don't you release the components
>that you use. I posted a message a while back asking for a component
>that will be a Memo box with diff. text colors both foreground and
>background. I got an reply that said I must try some custom
>stuff....which did not work. Then I was looking around in the options
>stuff and guess what i found.......Borlands RichEdit that they use for
>the Code Editor supports what I need....Now I ask the question...WHY
>DOESN"T BORLAND RELEASE THAT COMPONENT ????

[off-topic]

Hi,

Reading your message and header, I wonder if you are the (in)famous
guy in the BADDAY.MP3 movie. <g>

Re:BAD Borland BAD !!!

Heheheh good one......no sorry I missed that roll and Iam not having a bad
day.....the thing is that I just feel left out and like Borland and all the
other people are resticting us from using there stuff. Don't get me wrong now
I don't want to have to full source of Delphi but I think it would have been
nice of them to make that avail.I mean image if Microsoft made there set of
Menus avail. You know those that seem to pop-up ? Wouldn't it be nice if you
could use that in your application ?

Desmond Larochette wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jun 1998 12:38:33 +0200, Pieter De Wit <[email protected]>
> wrote:

> >Hello All, (and Borland)

> >I have a small request for Borland, Why don't you release the components
> >that you use. I posted a message a while back asking for a component
> >that will be a Memo box with diff. text colors both foreground and
> >background. I got an reply that said I must try some custom
> >stuff....which did not work. Then I was looking around in the options
> >stuff and guess what i found.......Borlands RichEdit that they use for
> >the Code Editor supports what I need....Now I ask the question...WHY
> >DOESN"T BORLAND RELEASE THAT COMPONENT ????

> [off-topic]

> Hi,

> Reading your message and header, I wonder if you are the (in)famous
> guy in the BADDAY.MP3 movie. <g>

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:BAD Borland BAD !!!

Actually, if you are that determined, the RichEdit 2.0 control supports
background colors.  That's the main reason I use it.  There are a few
attempts out there for the wrapper, some are good, some aren't so good.  Try
working with this control (riched20.dll).  I'll warn you though, Microsoft
doesn't have very good support for it yet!

Glenn Benes
InfoComp International, Inc.
[email protected]
http://www.infocompii.com/

Pieter De Wit wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>The problem here is that I can set the background color of a single char.
in
>the memo. Borland has a component that supports this and I want to get a
copy
>or source of this component. I mean who better to ask then the creators of
>product and best of all is they already have this component avail ??

>Rudy Velthuis wrote:

Re:BAD Borland BAD !!!

read some documentations on component writing and since you
already know what you want in that component , you can inherit from the
Rich Text Component and then add your verry own features .

HINT HINT :try usin the canvas of the component

Pieter De Wit wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>Hello All, (and Borland)

>I have a small request for Borland, Why don't you release the components
>that you use. I posted a message a while back asking for a component
>that will be a Memo box with diff. text colors both foreground and
>background. I got an reply that said I must try some custom
>stuff....which did not work. Then I was looking around in the options
>stuff and guess what i found.......Borlands RichEdit that they use for
>the Code Editor supports what I need....Now I ask the question...WHY
>DOESN"T BORLAND RELEASE THAT COMPONENT ????

>I paid a LOT of money for my Delphi Client/Server copy and now I find
>that Borland let me down ??? I can still except this from Microsoft but
>not from Borland.

>Thanks,

>Pieter De Wit

Go to page: [1] [2]