Different version of BDE on the same PC

Hello,

I have on my PC Delphi  4, Delphi 6 and Corel WordPerfect Suite 8 installed
(the last is without Paradox version). All that products are in conflict
from time to time - when I try to access Paradox files in Delphi 4 it
appears as if WordPerfect had its own version etc. Now when I bought and
installed Delphi 6 I can't access Paradox files both in Delphi4 and Delphi
6. How should I manage this situation?

Thank you
    Janusz

Re:Different version of BDE on the same PC

How many copies of the file IDAPI32.DLL do you have on your system right
now?

Use Windows Explorer to search for these files on any and every drive
accessible to you.

[Note:  if you're going to need to do that on a big, popular, network
drive .. ask for assistance from your network administrator before
dumping that kind of a load on the fileserver.]  ;-)

>Janusz Cyran wrote:

> Hello,

> I have on my PC Delphi  4, Delphi 6 and Corel WordPerfect Suite 8 installed
> (the last is without Paradox version). All that products are in conflict
> from time to time - when I try to access Paradox files in Delphi 4 it
> appears as if WordPerfect had its own version etc. Now when I bought and
> installed Delphi 6 I can't access Paradox files both in Delphi4 and Delphi
> 6. How should I manage this situation?

Re:Different version of BDE on the same PC

Setup your PC so, that there's only one version of the BDE on your harddisk.
And do it so that it is the latest version.
All versions of the BDE are backward compattible.
Be sure to save your configuartionfile(s) before you upgrade.

Alfred.

"Janusz Cyran" <lobs...@silesia.top.pl> schreef in bericht

> Hello,

> I have on my PC Delphi  4, Delphi 6 and Corel WordPerfect Suite 8
installed
> (the last is without Paradox version). All that products are in conflict
> from time to time - when I try to access Paradox files in Delphi 4 it
> appears as if WordPerfect had its own version etc. Now when I bought and
> installed Delphi 6 I can't access Paradox files both in Delphi4 and Delphi
> 6. How should I manage this situation?

> Thank you
>     Janusz

Re:Different version of BDE on the same PC

>I have on my PC Delphi  4, Delphi 6 and Corel WordPerfect Suite 8 installed
>(the last is without Paradox version). All that products are in conflict
>from time to time - when I try to access Paradox files in Delphi 4 it
>appears as if WordPerfect had its own version etc. Now when I bought and
>installed Delphi 6 I can't access Paradox files both in Delphi4 and Delphi
>6. How should I manage this situation?

You should have only one version of BDE installed on your machine.  Normally the
BDE install will make sure that is the way you are set up.  However Corel did
{*word*222}up the BDE install in version 8 so that is probably why you are having
problems.  You need to find and remove any BDE fields that are not in the BDE
directory pointed to by the registry key
Hkey_Local_machine\softwae\borland\database Engine\DllPath.
--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Different version of BDE on the same PC

The relevant directory is C:\Corel\Suite8\Shared\IDAPI on my PC. It seems
that the files from this directory are not present on others. For instance
there is certainly only one file IDAPI32.DLL on my PC...

Thank you
    Janusz

> You should have only one version of BDE installed on your machine.
Normally the
> BDE install will make sure that is the way you are set up.  However Corel
did
>{*word*222}up the BDE install in version 8 so that is probably why you are
having
> problems.  You need to find and remove any BDE fields that are not in the
BDE
> directory pointed to by the registry key
> Hkey_Local_machine\softwae\borland\database Engine\DllPath.
> --
> Brian Bushay (TeamB)
> Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Different version of BDE on the same PC

And my Norton WinDoctor reported another problem:
"c:\Corel\Suite8\Shared\IDAPI\disp.dll cannot access a necessary file,
"xolehlp.dll".
which perhaps is relevant.
Evidently disp.dll is installed by Delphi 6...

Thank you
    Janusz

> You should have only one version of BDE installed on your machine.
Normally the
> BDE install will make sure that is the way you are set up.  However Corel
did
>{*word*222}up the BDE install in version 8 so that is probably why you are
having
> problems.  You need to find and remove any BDE fields that are not in the
BDE
> directory pointed to by the registry key
> Hkey_Local_machine\softwae\borland\database Engine\DllPath.
> --
> Brian Bushay (TeamB)
> Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Different version of BDE on the same PC

>The relevant directory is C:\Corel\Suite8\Shared\IDAPI on my PC. It seems
>that the files from this directory are not present on others. For instance
>there is certainly only one file IDAPI32.DLL on my PC...

Then you can't have more than one version of BDE.

I would manually delete this directory.  Then delete any registry entries that
refer to this directory.
Then delete the Hkey_Local_machine\softwae\borland\database Engine\  Key

Then Re-install BDE from your Delphi 6 disk
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Different version of BDE on the same PC

I did it and it works now. Delphi 4 and Delphi 6.
But I have now a series of registry keys pointing to the wrong place; for
instance
the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\bantam.dll," refers to the path F:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi6\.
This is the path for my Delphi 6 installation. But bantam.dll is once again
in c:\corel\suite8\shared\IDAPI, just like other files. Should I redirect
the keys to point to this location?

Thank you, Brian
    Janusz

> >The relevant directory is C:\Corel\Suite8\Shared\IDAPI on my PC. It seems
> >that the files from this directory are not present on others. For
instance
> >there is certainly only one file IDAPI32.DLL on my PC...
> Then you can't have more than one version of BDE.

> I would manually delete this directory.  Then delete any registry entries
that
> refer to this directory.
> Then delete the Hkey_Local_machine\softwae\borland\database Engine\  Key

> Then Re-install BDE from your Delphi 6 disk
> --
> --
> Brian Bushay (TeamB)
> Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Different version of BDE on the same PC

>the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
>Paths\bantam.dll," refers to the path F:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi6\.
>This is the path for my Delphi 6 installation. But bantam.dll is once again
>in c:\corel\suite8\shared\IDAPI, just like other files. Should I redirect
>the keys to point to this location?

You should have deleted all of these before you reinstalled BDE.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Different version of BDE on the same PC

I deleted the keys and all seems to work fine. Is there a way to avoid
trouble in case I have to reinstall Corel?

Thank you
    Janusz

> You should have deleted all of these before you reinstalled BDE.

> --
> Brian Bushay (TeamB)
> Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Different version of BDE on the same PC

>I deleted the keys and all seems to work fine. Is there a way to avoid
>trouble in case I have to reinstall Corel?

If I remember correctly if BDE is installed before Office 8 you don't have a
problem.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com