How to use interbase/firebird in future versions of delphi

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to keep using an open source database in future
versions of delphi. Since Interbase is closed source again, I can't
keep on using the BDE components in delphi 5 forever when I want to
upgrade to a better database somewhere in the future.
I want to convert to firebird anytime soon but before that I need
components to access the firebird database from delphi.
I fear that Borlands BDE or dbExpress components support the open
source interbase for now but won't stay compatible with firebird.
What choices do I have if I want to keep using an open source
database that will also be supported in the future (say, at least a few
years)?

(IBObjects supports only interbase, right?)

Cheers,
Kees

Re:How to use interbase/firebird in future versions of delphi

I would highly recommend IBObjects.  It works with both IB and Firebird and
Jason plans to keep supporting both from what I have heard.

"Kees" <k...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi,

> I'm looking for a way to keep using an open source database in future
> versions of delphi. Since Interbase is closed source again, I can't
> keep on using the BDE components in delphi 5 forever when I want to
> upgrade to a better database somewhere in the future.
> I want to convert to firebird anytime soon but before that I need
> components to access the firebird database from delphi.
> I fear that Borlands BDE or dbExpress components support the open
> source interbase for now but won't stay compatible with firebird.
> What choices do I have if I want to keep using an open source
> database that will also be supported in the future (say, at least a few
> years)?

> (IBObjects supports only interbase, right?)

> Cheers,
> Kees

Other Threads