D3 with Access 97 problem

I am trying to connect a table to an Access 97 table.  I had Access 95
before so I should be able to do it using DAO 3.0.  The table is
secured and when I try to activate it it asks for userid and password.
I reply with the right values and it gives me an error message.  So
what am I doing wrong?
Also, it seems that it is mandatory to create an alias for the Access
DB.  Does that mean that one can no longer use a database component to
which one can assign a path at run time?
Thanks for any help    /Luis
Luis C. Uribe
Software Developer & Consultant
San Francisco, CA
lur...@slip.net

Re:D3 with Access 97 problem

In article <5lcutu$...@masters0.InterNex.Net>, lur...@slip.net says...

>I am trying to connect a table to an Access 97 table.  I had Access 95
>before so I should be able to do it using DAO 3.0.  The table is
>secured and when I try to activate it it asks for userid and password.
>I reply with the right values and it gives me an error message.  So
>what am I doing wrong?
>Also, it seems that it is mandatory to create an alias for the Access
>DB.  Does that mean that one can no longer use a database component to
>which one can assign a path at run time?
>Thanks for any help    /Luis
>Luis C. Uribe
>Software Developer & Consultant
>San Francisco, CA
>lur...@slip.net

The BDE Native Access driver only supports Access 95, which uses Jet 3.0.
Access 97 uses Jet 3.5 and is structured somewhat differently than an Access 95
 database.  You should, however, be able to access Access 97 through ODBC
drivers (single tier drivers like that are dirt slow).  I hope borland plans to
release an update to this shortly....

Chad R. Smalley, MCSD, SCSE, SCAD

Re:D3 with Access 97 problem

Chad Smalley wrote:
> The BDE Native Access driver only supports Access 95, which uses Jet
> 3.0.
> Access 97 uses Jet 3.5 and is structured somewhat differently than an
> Access 95
>  database.  You should, however, be able to access Access 97 through
> ODBC
> drivers (single tier drivers like that are dirt slow).  I hope borland
> plans to
> release an update to this shortly....

> Chad R. Smalley, MCSD, SCSE, SCAD

 It is possible to access an Access '97 table using the D.A.O. 3.0.

The user access is controlled by the system.mda files (i think,
definetly system.* in your access directory). Copy these to your windows
system to use the users you have set up, or just use username 'Admin'
and no password to access any access table from delphi.

I have just had a fax from borland saying that the D.A.O. 3.5 driver for
the BDE will be avaialble in 6-8 months. So if your working now, you
need to use the D.A.O. 3.0 that came with office/access 95.

The database path must be an alias, because this tells the BDE which
driver to use, unfortunately.

Paul 'Squirelly' Swindlehurst
email  : pa...@pcrsys.airtime.co.uk
powwow : pa...@pcrsys.airtime.co.uk