Problem Sharing PARADOX tables via shared directory on server

I need to allow users at our company, concurrent access to some
Paradox tables on my server.  So far, I have no problem getting them
connect, and they can access the files.  The problem is, even with a
full install of the BDE redist, they are not using the PDOXUSRS.NET
and PDOXUSRS.LCK files.

If I connect form my workstation (where I have delphi 1.0 installed),
I'm having no problems, I can connect there and from the server (via a
net use to the servers shared directory), and both programs are using
the Network files, I even made sure that record locking works, and it
does.

But, if I try from a system (that doesn't have delphi installed, just
the BDE redist - 16-bit), the program doesn't even open the files.
I'm sure that I'm setting the NetFileDir in my SESSION.

It seems that some DLL is installed with Delphi 1.0, but not included
in the BDE, causing those programs to be unable to lock records (they
can still access them just fine though).

Any suggestion?  Is is just Borland's way of trying to sell Interbase?
All I need is access for 5 or 6 users, can't see why I should buy
Interbase for that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re:Problem Sharing PARADOX tables via shared directory on server

tp...@pacent.com (BW) wrote:
>I need to allow users at our company, concurrent access to some
>Paradox tables on my server.  So far, I have no problem getting them
>connect, and they can access the files.  The problem is, even with a
>full install of the BDE redist, they are not using the PDOXUSRS.NET
>and PDOXUSRS.LCK files.
>If I connect form my workstation (where I have delphi 1.0 installed),
>I'm having no problems, I can connect there and from the server (via a
>net use to the servers shared directory), and both programs are using
>the Network files, I even made sure that record locking works, and it
>does.
>But, if I try from a system (that doesn't have delphi installed, just
>the BDE redist - 16-bit), the program doesn't even open the files.
>I'm sure that I'm setting the NetFileDir in my SESSION.
>It seems that some DLL is installed with Delphi 1.0, but not included
>in the BDE, causing those programs to be unable to lock records (they
>can still access them just fine though).
>Any suggestion?  Is is just Borland's way of trying to sell Interbase?
>All I need is access for 5 or 6 users, can't see why I should buy
>Interbase for that.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try setting the NetDir with the BDECFG. On some systems it helps to
set LOCALSHARE to TRUE (it's not only for BDE and NON-BDE-programs).

I think, I don't understand the first part of your EMail. Many user
can use the same table at the same time without using the same
PDOXUSRS.NET-files? That is not allowed. Normally, the second user
must get a exception "Multiple NET-Files in use".

  Steff
Stefan Kirch    mailto:stefan.ki...@bkr-software.com

Other Threads